ALBANY ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ALBANY ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 am

London Ladies & Charabanc, Albany Road, Camberwell, c1920s.
Albany Road Camberwell c1920s. London Ladies & Charabanc (2).jpg
Albany Road Camberwell c1920s. London Ladies & Charabanc 2.jpg

kiwi
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ALBANY ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 am

It seems it changed to an off-license sometime after 1931, because in 1938 it was an off-licence until it was destroyed by a VS.-2 rocket in 1944; it was rebuilt as the Galleon Wine Co., at 4 Albany Road and was reassigned 9 Keesey Street, which was opposite Canal Street and the William IV pub, Keesey St is no longer there.
Lady Franklin Pub, 86 Albany Road, Camberwell SE5 - in 1931.jpg
Lady Franklin Pub, 86 Albany Road, in 1931

kiwi
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ALBANY ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 am

An original document dated 1879. It is a leased signed by John Allan Rolls, 1st Baron of Llangattoc, (lesser) and David Devenish (lessee), for the Albany Arms, located at 209 Albany Road in Camberwell. The lease is for 25 years from 1882 to 1907 and the cost was 2,000 sterling pounds. It also shows the Rent of £140 to Mr Chas Edward Norris.
Albany Road. The Albany Arms, leased signed by John Allan Rolls   X.png
Albany Road. The Albany Arms. 1921- 1938.  X.png
1921- 1934.

Landlords
1921/Percy Samual Lovett - Post Office Directory ----- 1934/Percy Horace Lovett ,Kellys Directory

1938/Percy Horace Lovett - Post Office Directory------- 1944/Jn Hollister - Post Office Directory

kiwi
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ALBANY ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:41 pm

The cluster of shops at the junction of Albany Road with Calmington Road provided for all the daily needs of the local community. No. 103 Albany Road had been a doctor’s consulting room, surgery and dispensary for many decades. In 1917, Dr Robert Galloway Whitelaw from Scotland lived there with his wife, Catherine. Next door was the fried fish shop (101) and fishmonger (99), both run by the Skelton family. The business had been founded by the enterprising Eleanor Skelton. Widowed at the age of 38 with eight children, she opened a fried fish shop at 27 Bagshot Street, Camberwell.
By 1911 Eleanor’s youngest son, Stephen, had taken over a shop at 101 Albany Road and opened no. 99 next door as a fresh fish shop. His son, also Stephen John, was a junior fishmonger there. Eleanor’s daughter Emma, who had married James Glass, a meat porter, managed the fried fish shop at no. 101, assisted by her daughter Alice. They also had a shop at 3 Beckway Street. The Miller family ran the post office (the pillarbox still stands outside) and baker’s (105). Over on the north side of Albany Road were the shops of confectioner William John Jarvis (136) and grocer Henry Boyce Balls (138) and the local pub, the Duke of Edinburgh (140).
Albany Road.  X.jpg
Albany Road 2019,post box still there and with the site of The Duke of Edinburgh Pub opposite.   X.png
Albany Road 2019,post box still there with the site of The Duke of Edinburgh Pub opposite.

kiwi
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ALBANY ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:01 am

Albany Road.   X.jpg


Return to “Buildings & Streets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests