1868 First entry for S Taylor — 27 Abbey Street South.
1880 Long Lane properties renumbered, previous buildings on site — no details known.
1886 New buildings at 217 Long Lane occupied by Samuel Taylor (bonded carman) — later Samuel Taylor & Sons. Directory entries continue the same until 1932 when evidence of the buildings still being used for horse traffic is given by the entry 'Samuel Taylor & Sons Ltd, carmen (stables)'.
1933 217 Long Lane ceased to be used by Taylor's; in this year, they had premises at 181 Long Lane, 170 Grange Road, Southwark, 88a Tooley Street and 12 Holborn Viaduct. They were described as 'road transport contractors' which probably demonstrates the complete changeover to motor vehicles when most of the buildings at 217 Long Lane would have become redundant. Taylor's continued to use premises at 181 Long Lane and Grange Road until 1962. Their final directory entry is in 1967 as Samuel Taylor (Hay's Wharf) Ltd at 151 Tower Bridge Road.
Who remembers the old Trams and RouteMasters
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests