ST GEORGES WAY,

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

ST GEORGES WAY,

Postby kiwi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 am

St George’s Way in 1978, runs between Wells Way and Trafalgar Avenue..jpg
St George’s Way in 1978, was called St Georges Road. Runs between Wells Way and Trafalgar Avenue.
The George and Dragon Pub on the corner of St Georges Way, was called St Georges Road..jpg
St Georges Way, The George and Dragon Pub. I think the turning right was called Birdlip Close? and Opposite St Georges Church Yard. The pub has now been demolished.

profjohn

Re: ST GEORGES WAY,

Postby profjohn » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 pm

Hi there - the road to the right is Dargon Rd (hence George & Dragon pub!). I lived other end of the Dragon Rd loop 1953-60 then moved round the corner to St Georges Way 1960-67 then we were then rehoused due to the clearance. Dragon Rd disappeared with the building of the Nth Peckham Estate but it's now reinstated following the latter's demise! John

kiwi

Re: ST GEORGES WAY,

Postby kiwi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi John (profjohn) welcome to the site and thanks for the information. Did you mean the road to the right is/was Dragon Rd not Dargon Road? I thought it might be Birdlip Close but that was probable further back towards Wells Way,so thanks for putting me right. As you say it has changed so much in that area and Dragon Road is now further back. Am I right that the corner where the pub was is now called Comfort Street.? Ray (kiwi).

Return to “Buildings & Streets”