Leroy Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: Leroy Street

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 pm

Leroy St Rear of Houses,Swan Mead, (left) Guinness Buildings (background right). 1930..jpg
Rear of Houses in Leroy St, Swan Mead, (left) & Guinness Buildings (background) . 1930. My bedroom window is the one on the left, second from the top. I still can't believe that I used to step across from my bedroom window and go into my mates bedroom window. At that height one slip and good-night Vienna.
:roll:

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:44 am

Leroy Street, opposite the Park and John Street boys club. I knew this as a Bomb site.
Leroy Street, opposite the Park and John Street boys club..jpg

Boyzie

Postby Boyzie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:01 pm

kiwi wrote:Picture 2017. When I lived in Guinness’s Buildings (1942 to early mid-60s) my bedroom windows looked over the park too these buildings, Stewart House. The entrance by the red van was where the Book-maker stood to collect the bets. Any sign of the Law and he would disappear into the buildings. Tobies Club was further down, near to where the small building is now (Toby Noble). Tower Bridge Road is at the far end.
LEROY STREET,STEWART HOUSE.jpg

The book-maker was Percy Newell and he lived in a flat on the ground floor of Stewart House. His 'spotters' (including a one-legged chap) stood over the road on the corner so they could see towards both Tower bridge and Old Kent roads. I always remember Percy as being always smart and well dressed, and wearing galoshes in winter.
My grandparents lived in the corner top-floor flat of Stewart House and I had other relatives living in some of the other flats in the block. The flat had no bath back then so a weekly bath was at Bermondsey Baths. In the 1950's I spent my first few years of life in another flat up the road in Leroy Street but during the 1960's I had to live with my grandparents for a while (over that bad winter of 1963), which was why I got to know a little bit about Percy.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi Boyzie, Percy Newell book-maker, that's jogged a few memory cells I would never have remembered that. My mum would send me round there with her bets, trying to remember if it was sixpence each-way,which at the time would have been a lot of money for us or three-pence each-way, did they take three pence each-way bets at that time. I can't ever remember her going round to collect her winnings so that is telling you something.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”