DEVON MANSIONS - Building 3
The Devon Mansion buildings are located on five separate sites spanning a distance of approximately 600 m along the south side of Tooley Street. Details of the five buildings are as follows:
- Building 1 (blocks 1-3) is located between Barnham Street and Druid Street, opposite Potters Fields and the More London complex.
- Building 2 (blocks 4-7) is located between Fair Street and
Tower Bridge Road opposite the former St Olave's Grammar School and statues commemorating Ernest Bevin, British Labour leader, and Samuel Bourne Bevington, the first Mayor of Bermondsey.
- Building 3 (blocks 8-13), otherwise known as Hartland House, is located between Tower Bridge Road and Fair Street, opposite Shad Thames. Strangely enough, Hartland House was originally a public/beer house of some description although there are no remnants of its earlier life, other than a picture in the local studies library which is testament to this fact. It is likely that the pub was converted into flats quite soon after the buildings were built as the Ordnance Surveyonly ever recorded it as a PH (public house) on one edition.
- Building 4 (blocks 14-19) is located between Fair Street and Tanner Street, opposite Shad Thames.
- Building 5 (blocks 20-21) is located between Tanner Street and Sweeny Crescent, opposite the southern end of St Saviour's Dock.