POLLOCK ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

POLLOCK ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:30 am

Ran between New Kent Road & Deacon Street and is no longer there. Demolished and redeveloped as The Heygate Estate which in turn has since been replaced by Elephant Park.
Pollock Road, the Palatine Estate, which was off the New Kent Road.  1  X.png
Pollock Road, the Palatine Estate.
Film Poor Cow 1967, Palatinate Estate, Pollock Road, which was off New Kent Road.   X.png
Pollock Road, Palatinate Estate, which was off New Kent Road, from the film Poor Cow 1967.

kiwi

Re: POLLOCK ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:24 pm

Pollock Road, Palatinate Estate, looking towards Deacon Street c1961.   X.png
Picture states Palatinate Estate, Lion Street, looking towards Deacon Street c1961.
I think this is Pollock Road?? as far as I can remember Palatinate Estate was on both sides of Pollock Road.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:24 pm

kiwi wrote:I think this is Pollock Road?? as far as I can remember Palatinate Estate was on both sides of Pollock Road.
I think the caption's wrong and right. It is Lion Street, but I don't think the Palatinate extended to Lion Street. The gap was where 55-83 Chatteris Square had stood, and the nearest block on the left is 84-110 Chatteris Square; the front of the building, with bow windows, faces left into the square. The nearest block on the right is 55-83 Lion Street and faces the street.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:24 pm

Fogbrain wrote:
kiwi wrote:I think this is Pollock Road?? as far as I can remember Palatinate Estate was on both sides of Pollock Road.
I think the caption's wrong and right. It is Lion Street, but I don't think the Palatinate extended to Lion Street. The gap was where 55-83 Chatteris Square had stood, and the nearest block on the left is 84-110 Chatteris Square; the front of the building, with bow windows, faces left into the square. The nearest block on the right is 55-83 Lion Street and faces the street.

Palatinate Estate was in Pollock Road, so assuming this is Lion Street this cannot be the Palatinate Estate. Could this be Nicholson House which I have just posted in Lion Street? And is that the white shop in Lion Street down on the left? Also, if this is Lion Street which it looks like it is, back behind on the right towards New Kent Road was Ladysmith Dwellings.
Cheers Fogbrain, we where not streets apart on this one. ;)

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am

kiwi wrote:Could this be Nicholson House which I have just posted in Lion Street? And is that the white shop in Lion Street down on the left?
I didn't know it was called Nicholson House; the only Nicholson House of which I was aware is one of the LCC blocks on Brandon Street. But no, the Lion Street photo was taken from the southern end - the Morris Oxford is parked in Deacon Street, so in this photo that gents' haidresser's is in the far distance at the end of the street.

kiwi wrote:Also, if this is Lion Street which it looks like it is, back behind on the right towards New Kent Road was Ladysmith Dwellings.
Indeed, although the buildings predated the seige by a few years and were originally called Lion Buildings.

Cheers Kiwi.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”