Bermondsey Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Bermondsey Street

Postby fosney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:28 pm

Bermondsey Street pictured in 1880 from Tooley Street to Tower Bridge Road this is know doubt how it was but as know one today can remember its old timber built houses dating back many years with the old lath and plaster walls all gone with the ravages of time.

What part of Bermondsey Street we use as modern I am at loss to decide so the picture was taken at random, Bermondsey Street loooking toward St Thomas Streeet.
Bermondsey Street.jpg
Bermondsey Street 1880

fosney

Bermondsey Street (Yesterday & Today)

Postby fosney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:38 pm

Bermondsey Street pictured in 1880 from Tooley Street to Tower Bridge Road this is know doubt how it was but as know one today can remember its old timber built houses dating back many years with the old lath and plaster walls all gone with the ravages of time.

What part of Bermondsey Street we use as modern I am at loss to decide so the picture was taken at random, Bermondsey Street loooking toward St Thomas Streeet.
Bermondsey St 1958 2.jpg
Bermondsey Street Today.jpg
today

fosney

Re: Bermondsey Street

Postby fosney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:42 pm

-fosney

Hi Fosney,I cannot prove it at present, but studying OS maps of the time, I would think the 1880's picture shows buildings on the East Side of Bermondsey Street opposite Lamb Alley (now Lamb Walk) and looking south towards St Mary Magdalen & Bermondsey Square. This being the case, based on the shadows, the photo was taken in the afternoon.Someone maybe able to confirm or disprove this if they can find Pettitt in a trade or PO directory

Regards
freddie

edit:
Found William Pettitt, wool rug manufacter at 89 Bermondsey Street which confirms the above.

PS the street has since been renumbered and the corresponding site is now 139-143 Bermondsey St.

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:56 am

freddie

Knew I could rely on you to find the right place in Bermondsey Street with all this information I can see Bermondseyboy writing a history of Bermondsey Keep up the good work and put me right when need be
Thanks again

fosney

Re: Bermondsey Street (Yesterday & Today)

Postby fosney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Fluxite Bermondsey St.jpg
Fluxite Works Bermondsey Street
Fluxite Site today.jpg
Same building today

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:32 am

The building at 187 Bermondsey Street, just two doors down from St Mary Magdalen Church, has a distinctive façade with arts and crafts style lettering that spells out TIME AND TALENTS SETTLEMENT AD 1907.
Time & Talents / Established 1887 / Founded to improve the / living and working conditions of / women and children employed / in the factories and docks / of Bermondsey".
After a peripatetic early existence, Time and Talents settled in 187 Bermondsey Street in 1899 where it was to remain until 1962 with a clubroom for “healthy recreation” singing, basketwork, knitting and sewing. In 1913 a hostel was developed to house factory girls who were experiencing severe overcrowding at home and for many it was their first opportunity to experience a room of their own.

Time & Talent.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Bermondsey Street -- 1976
Now a one way street
fd1cb0fc48ec4a7a4ed37a46ef314d4ed47127f6.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 am

bermondsey street.jpg
Bermondsey Street, 1971 looking towards Crucifix Lane
Is the sign the YORKSHIRE GREY PUB? on the corner of Whites Ground
Last edited by kiwi on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:03 am

Charles Waller, was born around 1791, and was trading as a Cheesemonger from at least 1811, based at 176 Bermondsey Street, Southwark (Surrey in the early 1800s). At that time cheese was a staple of everyday life & also very valuable commodity. Charles business was thriving enough to allow him to have a dwelling, shop, warehouse & stables in Bermondsey Street. Charles shop is no longer there, it was demolished in the mid-19th century.
Charles Cock Waller. Firstly, the partners of Charles Cock Waller, who ran a Provisions Merchants with him formally dissolved the partnership. Charles Landlords at 176 Bermondsey Street took the opportunity when the two Charles’s died to reclaim the least, and knockdown the building and develop it into something more modern, (picture 1) which is now worth 4 to 5 Million Pound and is being demolished after over 150+ years to make way for a proposed Hotel in 2016.
Bermondsey Street. 1.jpg
Bermondsey Street. 1
Bermondsey Street 2.png
Hotel Signage 2016.

Bermondsey Street 3.jpg
Map showing position of number 176.

Post by Fogbrain (page2)
Quote: If the street number is correct, Kiwi, the site is slightly off - № 176 of the early 19th century was further up on the left. Bermondsey Street has been renumbered twice since then.

Hi Fogbrain,
I think you are right about my post. Though both maps are of a similar date your map seems to be correct on the number 176. I also now believe that the picture of the Signage Hotel is a mock-up of what they thought it would look like. looking on Google it is certainly not there now (2018). Obviously, this puts the picture in Bermondsey Street (left) in doubt as whether this is actually the Charles Waller warehouse. The picture came with the information, which is right, so I would assume the picture is ok? Strangely this is now number 176/178, Bermondsey Street. (Ticino Bakery).
Sorry about the mistake & taking so long picking up on this, but I have got there in the end.
Thanks Fogbrain, Kiwi.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:46 pm

BERMONDSEY  STREET, 2012..jpg
BERMONDSEY STREET, 2012

Return to “Buildings & Streets”