kiwi

Re: Rouel Road

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:53 am

Hi Jill, welcome to the site. KIWI.

harperb2011

Postby harperb2011 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi Fosney
Thanks for the map of the old Jam factory. I used to live in number 73 by the junction of Rouel Road and Lucy Road. There was the Rouel Tavern as marked by the PH (which i was told had been bombed during the war) and working clockwise I can remember a sweet shop on the next corner, A Grocers shops (run by Mr & Mrs Dudley) and what ended up as a Betting shop on the last corner.

Brian

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:37 am

ROULE TAVERN, 70 ROULE ROAD, BERMONDSEY..jpg
ROUEL TAVERN, 70 ROUEL ROAD, BERMONDSEY

uk_teejay

Postby uk_teejay » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:13 pm

I know there have been many users on this site looking for pictures of Rouel Road, which seem to be a rare find. Here is an Ariel shot of Rouel Road from 1952. The Synagogue is in the center of the pic.
Rouel Road.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:46 am

The windows behind are the offices, I remember looking out of them in the 1960s when I worked for Beaches, so it hadn’t change a lot.
Rouel Road, Liptons 1929..jpg
Rouel Road, Liptons 1929.
ROUEL ROAD, BERMONDSEY.  X..png
ROUEL ROAD, BERMONDSEY.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 am

Rouel Road. Safety Playground on bombed site July 1951.  X.png
Safety Playground on bombed site in Rouel Road, July 1951.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:40 am

1951 Aerial Map. Bottom of the map is Rouel Road, the chimney of Liptons Jam Factory can be seen, (later to become T.W. Beach & Sons) Lucy Road is to the right. To The back of the Synagogue in Rouel Road is Yalding Road, the road heading away in Yalding Road is Cadbury Road (now Cadbury Way), with the Eonia Soup Works. To the left is Southwark Park Road with Grange Road and Dunton Road around the bend, to the right you can see the Town Hall in Spa Road. Moving further on to the top of the picture (middle) you can see Guinness’s Buildings in Pages Walk, to the left of the buildings you can see the Bricklayers Arms Rail Depot and Old Kent Road.
Rouel Road, Grange Road area.   1  X.png

Lasto7

Re: Rouel Road.pubs!!

Postby Lasto7 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:53 am

fosney wrote:Posted by bermondseygal

Hi David (taxi105)

I thought I was the only one who remembered a pub called 'The Happy Home'!
The reason you couldn't find 'The Happy Home' anywhere on the internet is because 'The Happy Home' was a nickname locals called the pub.
The actual name of the pub was The Windsor Castle.

I lived around the corner from 'The Happy Home', in Frean Street, and my dad took me in there when I was a kid to see my mum's brother-in-laws dad who drank in there and I remember my dad saying we were going to 'The Happy Home' even though the pub was called the Windsor Castle and had a pub sign with a picture of Windsor castle!

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

Yes that was the nickname " the happy home", however it wasn't the Windsor castle, the Windsor castle was further along Enid street heading towards Abbey street, it was located on the right just past the wire fencing fronting the arches I frequently sat on the step of that pub when my Dad & Grenddad had their ritual Sunday pint, me eating Smiths crisps and a glass of lemonade. lasto7.

kiwi

Re: Rouel Road.pubs!!

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:44 am

Lasto7 wrote:
fosney wrote:Posted by bermondseygal

Hi David (taxi105)

I thought I was the only one who remembered a pub called 'The Happy Home'!
The reason you couldn't find 'The Happy Home' anywhere on the internet is because 'The Happy Home' was a nickname locals called the pub.
The actual name of the pub was The Windsor Castle.

I lived around the corner from 'The Happy Home', in Frean Street, and my dad took me in there when I was a kid to see my mum's brother-in-laws dad who drank in there and I remember my dad saying we were going to 'The Happy Home' even though the pub was called the Windsor Castle and had a pub sign with a picture of Windsor castle!

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

Yes that was the nickname " the happy home", however it wasn't the Windsor castle, the Windsor castle was further along Enid street heading towards Abbey street, it was located on the right just past the wire fencing fronting the arches I frequently sat on the step of that pub when my Dad & Grenddad had their ritual Sunday pint, me eating Smiths crisps and a glass of lemonade. lasto7.

Hi Lasto7,Welcome to the site. Could the pub they called the " The Happy Home" be the LION :?: Kiwi.

Lasto7

Re: Rouel Road pubs

Postby Lasto7 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:38 am

Thanks Kiwi, yes I lived a few hundred yards from it , always knew it as 'the happy home' the real name the Lion, they built a pub opposite called the lion, with Richmond sausages next door in Spar rd, the New Lion was in Rouel rd, the Windsor Castle was number 61-62 Enid street, the happy home was number 44.. the happy home was a real old fashioned boozer sawdust floors, located next to Rouel rd arch, with Frean st through the arch on the right then led onto Jamaica rd, ( old Jamaica rd now)
IMG_1034.JPG.JPG
the happy home older

IMG_1033.JPG.JPG
The Lion

Return to “Buildings & Streets”