Layard Road

A little bit about yourself growing up in Bermondsey
PeterD

Layard Road

Postby PeterD » Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am

I grew up in Layard Road in the war years: went to Southwark Park Infants and Juniors then off to a posh School in Suffolk. Came back in 1956 before joining the RAF in 1958. My Dad (Fred) was a Milkman; my sister Enid, after marrying Brian Thatcher emigrated to Australia. Mum and Dad moved up to Jamaica road, into a flat above the shops when Layard Road was "redeveloped". Fond memories of playing cricket (of sorts) on the dog-leg of Layard rd with the stumps being drawn in chalk on the school wall. Playing football in the street and a weird game, using two pieces of wood, one balanced on the kerb and the other used to strike it then making a score by running across the road to the other kerb. I especially remember Dave Webb, who actually lived round the corner on Drummond Rd, and the trip we made on our Bikes to my Aunt's at Bosham (near Chichester) one summer.. Amongst others, I can remember are Roy James, (who nicked a girlfriend from me!) and Alan Reeves and Teddy Townsend, but most names I've forgotten. I now live in Yorkshire, had two children, one of whom was killed in Iraq two years ago, the other, my daughter lives up here. I have ten grandchildren (6 biological and 4 step children's children) I have been widowed for past two years and spend most of my time these days as a volunteer caseworker for a Veterans charity. It would be great to get in contact with anyone from those days of the 40's/50's
Peter Dawson lived at 39 Layard Rd.

kiwi

Re: Layard Road

Postby kiwi » Fri May 12, 2017 5:00 am

Hi Peter, welcome to the site. I have a little bit of information which might be of interest to you from a person named James, I think it could be the Roy you mentioned. He had a brother called John,Dad Alf & Mum Ellen (Nellie). If you would like me to send this to you just send me your Email address in a private message and I will Email it to you. Cheers Kiwi (Ray).

Jimbo

Re: Layard Road

Postby Jimbo » Wed May 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello peter
My name is Jim Lunney I lived at 13 Layard rd and knew all your family
My older brother was Terry I Had a sister Pat and little brother Michael
I remember when Enid went off to Australia ,there was a Barbara who lived
Opposite you a David Bertram and a Brenda Basham too name a few.
It would great to keep in touch ,if you could let me know how,
Hope to hear from you. All the best. Jimlunney in

Return to “Member's Short Stories”