Site Admin

East Lane

Postby bermondseyboy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:18 pm

East lane - clear up.jpg
East lane - clear up
East Lane Market.jpg
East Lane Market

Photos sent by Jan and Paul - Thank You

East Lane Market - Cockles, Eels, Pepper, Vinegar and a piece of dry Bread - Lovely Jubbly.

There has been street trading in the Walworth area since the 16th Century, when farmers rested their livestock on Walworth Common before continuing to the city.
During the industrial revolution, stalls lined the whole of the Walworth Road, but the market has only been officially running since 1880

kiwi

Re: East Lane/East Street.

Postby kiwi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 am

George Barnes, East Lane..jpg
GEORGE BARNES, EAST LANE.
EAST LANE.jpg
EAST STREET MARKET.
East Street Market.   X.png
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Re: East Lane

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:37 am

R S Traill & Co from c1875. The firm's mills were situated next to St Mark's Church (1874-1945) which was damaged during WWII.
2 East Street from Walworth Road, c1875.  X..png
East Street from Walworth Road, c1875.
2 East Street from Walworth Road, same location 2020.  X..jpg
East Street from Walworth Road, same location 2020.
East Street.  2  X..png
East Street,same corner. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

MARKET EAST.jpg
East Lane/East Street Market, same corner.
Last edited by kiwi on Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:05 am

East Street c1910, looking towards Walworth Road.  1  X..jpg
East Street c1910, looking towards Walworth Road.
HUGMANS,EAST LANE,1930..jpg
Hugmans in East Street 1930
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Someone must have asked the Question??.
East Lane or East Street Market.
In the late 1800 hundreds, the Old Kent Road end was called East Lane, so for myself and those living Thames side of the Old Kent Road we would have probably called it East Lane as the older people in our families would have known it as that. Walworth Road end at that time was called East Street, coming from the Old Kent Road end it was known as Sion Place, Prior Place, Apollo Builds, Richmond Place then East Street so any one living at the Walworth Road end would have probable called it East Street Market, as that is where the Market started from in the 1880s. Not sure when it all became East Street, but maybe someone can tell us?
SALVATION.jpg
Salvation Army.
EAST STREET 2.jpg
Another busy day when stalls would have been on each
side of the road & people looking for bargains.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Question I asked on the old site.
Just wondering if anyone can remember a youth club in East Lane, it was held in a church hall, it would have been about 1954/55. I saw a photo a little while back of a church which I thought it could have been but can’t seem to locate it now. I used to do boxing there and wondered if the boxer Tommy Noble was the trainer. I think someone mentioned that he used to sell White Horse Oils (Embrocation) outside this church and I can vaguely remember that. I used to go with two of my mates from school (John Harvard, Union Street) but can’t remember their names, though I think they lived In Kinglake Street in the flats, we used to go back there and have a kick-a- about in the square. I have something in my mind that says it was called Wellington College Youth Club but this seems very unlikely being it was in East Lane, it just doesn’t sound right.

Hi Kiwi, from Delwhite 1.
I attended Wellington College Youth Club from 1960 'til around 1963 and have very fond memories of the place. The club was held in a building to the side of the church, which I think was called St. Joseph's, but couldn't be sure of that. The name 'All Saint's' also rings a bell, so it could have been one of the two. There were many activities within the club. It had a few good-sized snooker tables, table tennis tables and, in the upstairs gym, a five-a-side football area. During my time, there it was run by Father Brian Walsh. He had a twin sister whose name escapes me, who ran either a 'Brownies,' or 'Girl Guides' group there. Ted Pretty ran the football side of things, but Garry Fifer, (the finest man I ever knew in my life, and a great influence for the good of all the lads who knew him,) was responsible for the real day-to-day running of the place. He organised quiz nights, cultural evenings at operas and classical music events. In fact, anything that would hopefully improve the lives and mentalities of the kids who attended the club. His youth work was of course voluntary and the prizes given out on quiz nights came out of his own pocket. The man was a living saint.
Fifer, (the finest man I ever knew in my life, and a great influence for the good of all the lads who knew him,) was responsible for the real day-to-day running of the place. He organised quiz nights, cultural evenings at operas and classical music events. In fact, anything that would hopefully improve the lives and mentalities of the kids who attended the club. His youth work was of course voluntary and the prizes given out on quiz nights came out of his own pocket. The man was a living saint.
There was a guy named 'Syd,' who took Gymnastics for a while, but left under a cloud. ('nuff said,) and a 'gentle giant' of a bloke by the name of Mick Healan who coached boxing. Mick was a scary looking guy with a cauliflower ear and a flat nose. He resembled an armed robber, but was the nicest, kindest chap anyone could ever meet. I'm sure he was a tough opponent during his time in the ring, but outside of it he wouldn’t have hurt a fly.
At one point, Father Walsh tried to impose a rule that the kids could only attend the youth club if they went to church on Sundays. (I should add at this point that it wasn't a Catholic establishment, which may surprise.) After a couple of weeks of an empty youth club, the rule was abandoned.
Ted Pretty and Gary Fifer left Wellington College in 1962 or 63 due to 'differences of opinion,' with Father Walsh and became much respected leaders of 'New Venture Youth Club,' which was run by Harry Moore and his wife, Jean, and was situated just off the Old Kent Road.
Gary Fifer passed away in 1985 after a long and hard-fought illness. I've learned since that he was a leading light in the organisation of the 1948 London Olympics and, during the war, helped the British Navy in the hunt and eventual destruction of the 'Bismark.' Gary was born in Argentina of German parentage, (originally, 'Pfeiffer,') which makes his wartime exploits even more remarkable. He was fluent in German, Spanish and, of course, English. Anyone who met him could not have thought he was anything other than a typical English gentleman. R.I.P. hope I've thrown some light, Delwhite
Thanks, Delwhite 1 for the information about the club, like you I can remember the activities which were there and It’s great that you can remember people’s names from such a long time ago, I only wish I could. Though it looks like I was there about five or six years earlier than you, some names seem familiar, Tom Petty being one. Mick Healan the boxing coach fits the bill to the trainer I remember back then but a lot of boxers had cauliflower ears and flat noses and it was five years on from the time I was there so I don’t suppose we will ever know. One thing I can remember, was one night while training the coach said to me, hit me as hard as you can, I know I was only about thirteen but I put all my strength into it, hit him on the jaw and he just stood there as though it was a fly landing, he never even blinked. Kiwi.
Kiwi, I reckon the boxing guy you and I knew at Wellington College was the same Mick Healan. He was always telling the boys to hit him as hard as they could and the punches just bounced off. During sparring he would let you force him in to a corner and then invite a barrage of body punches, just to improve your technique and killer instinct. It was like punching a wooden board.
Guys like those mentioned just aren't made anymore. I know there's always been a rough element in society from the year dot, but it seems to me that the today's problems started with the demise of youth clubs. 'Aggro's' in the late 1960's/early 1970's, 'Skinheads' in the late 70's and 80's and now we have 'Hoodies.' Young people today don't seem to have anything better to do or, more importantly, to expend their energy and imagination on. It's all about sitting on your bum and playing computer games, X-Box etc.
Delwhite 1
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:32 am

East Street Market c1970.  X..png
East Street Market c1970.
EAST STREET 2015.jpg
EAST STREET 2015
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:39 am

EAST STREET.3.jpg
Beginning of East Street,Walworth Road end
EAST STREET1.jpg
Beginning of East Street, Old Kent Road end in 1979.

Only remember him in East Lane but he obviously travelled. This must have been Grand National week as the picture is in Liverpool. 1952. Apologies for not being on our manor. ;)
Prince Monalulu, I Gotta Horse, 1952.  1  X..png
Prince Monalulu, I Gotta Horse, 1952.
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:37 am

East Street

There has been some debate about the real name of the area, but to the locals it is known as " The Lane " or " East Lane " and is open every day except Monday - Sunday being the busiest day for trading.

There has been a street market in this area since the 16th Century and during the Industrial Revolution stalls lined the whole length of Walworth Road, but since 1880 the market has been controlled offically.

In the past I am sure you have come across "spivs" - "wide boys" and "con artists" among the characters that frequented the lane on Sunday Market Days - plus a few colourful characters such as Prince Ras Monolulu telling us " I Gotta Horse " of course for a price. In particular I remember the Boxer who stood outside the church selling " White Horse Oil "
xaEastStreetMarket1957.jpg
xbEast-Street-Market.jpg

xcEastLanecrowdlookingdown.jpg
xeeastlaneQuininetonic.jpg

xfEastLaneSasparilla.jpg
xgEastStreettheChurch.jpg

xgEastLneprinceMonolulu2.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:51 am

Poste by Bermondseylady

In reply to the memories of East Lane, I recall going 'down the lane' on a Sunday morning.
I hated the crush and the struggle to get through, I always used to moan and think 'never again' but I always went back! We bought some wierd and wonderful things down the lane. I remember the fella with the card trick that used to disappear when the police were spotted. Was that a trick in itself?!! I always seemed to get squashed in a particular place near a wall (a particular place in East Lane, not on me) and shouting to my relatives that I had got stuck and was no longer with them!

Return to “Buildings & Streets”