Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Posted by crosby34

Here is a view of the old route of Jamaica Road taken in the 1930s
5ec616d1da3cbcbbfd87c2ea46edb30108c39e21.jpg

fosney

Re: Jamaica Road/Union Road

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Posted by crosby34

It's only when you see other parts of London that you realise how much of Bermondsey was changed after the war by the authorities. The new Jamaica Road and the Bricklayers Arms flover are two examples of 'improvements' that didn't do much for the people who lived close by. Neither of these schemes would be built now and in the end, all they both did was move the traffic jam a little further along.
Attached is another aerial view of the Jamaica Rd area this time from after the war showing the bomb damage. Hopefully it will load ok
a69a976e4b1ebcd5dad81328d6fa1061537396ff.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Posted by Kathy

Great aerial maps, crosby. For those who are uncertain about the roads in the 1930s photo, the curved road is the original Jamaica Road, but it went under other names through its life. On Stanford's maps from the 1860s, it was Bermondsey Low Road, and went onto Millpond Street, Union Road and Paradise Row. The road just left of centre on the 1930s map is George Row. If you go to Mapco you will find loads of maps of London going way back, which you can click on, then click on the approximate location of Bermondsey to bring up a single section of map. The roads radiating out from Jamaica Road in 1930 were once rope walks. Some were chopped short. Llewellyn Street is the last vestige of a longer road that connected with the original Jamaica Road and was called New Church Street (my great grandpa lived there at one time).

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:15 pm

1LilliputHallPub.jpg
1LilliputNowFlats.jpg
1LilliputHall.jpg

Old Jamaica Road --- Lilliput Hall

Picture from the forum of Lilliput Hall another pub picture obtained from a video. The Lilliput Hall can be seen on the right of the old picture from the 1950s when the trams were still running.

Records show that this was a pub as far back as 1881, it closed in 2000 was refurbished and by the look of today's picture converted into flats.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:17 pm

Posted by jimmica

i used to live in lupin point so the lil was my local,the guv'nor was billy aird the heavyweight boxer, i left bermondsey an went travelling for a couple of years when i came back i ended up in eastbourne on the south coast walked in to a pub called the archery tavern and who was behind the bar ?billy aird he said hello jim you on holiday! i then moved to pevensey bay just a couple of miles outside eastbourne, i went in the beach tavern an the guv'nor used to own the newsagents/toyshop on the corner of jamaica an spr under kirby est he used to serve me as a kid what a small world jim

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Posted by BillWinter

Picture from the forum of Lilliput Hall another pub picture obtained from a video. The Lilliput Hall can be seen on the right of the old picture from the 1950s when the trams were still running.

The tallest buildings in the background on the LH side was Star buildings next to the Star
Cinema and to get into the buildings you had to go down some 10-12 steps go into the
square if you walked thro the square you had to climb a similar no of steps to exit and
you would be standing in the roadway where the entrance to the Catholic Church was
and that Church was bombed during the war and later demolished.
[[ Before the war I was taken into the church by a friend name of Bernard Sullivan
and shown how dip your finger in the Holy Water then make the sign of the Cross.
I am not a Catholic.]]------ and the first flat on the left from Abbey Street
was a cafe where you could see the cooking area through the half cellar
window standing on the pavement in Abbey street and smell the toast being
made and all the warm air coming out of the kitchen, especially in the winter,which
was very good if you were wearing short trousers.As I was!

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Jamaica Road / Old Jamaica Road

Can anyone remember this building in Jamaica Road possibly Old Jamaica Road
ArmourFactoryJamaicaRoad.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Posteedd by freddierouelrd

Hi Fosney

Armour * corn beef,in Jamaica Road(old Jamaica rd) opposite Albin (or Albans)funeral parlour, the scrape yard next door, we took old newspapers and got a couple of bob!!, was it a Canadian company? anyway thats what they canned amongst other things. cheers.

freddierouelrd

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Albins funeral parlour old jamaica road. the park was laid behind the lady Mayor.and the other dignatries. Fosney you are looking at this parade from the north side of Old Jamaica road just past the C.U.M @ the junction of Marine st.
815d4f4f96b48e892e572b9e5a921e52c9e20631.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Posted by bermondsetgal

Hello Fosney,
Albins funerals, if you turn left from Marine st into O.J.R. 100yards on the right was a small park which connected O.J.R. with Frean st, just past the park towards St James church, and before The Rising Sun ph stood Albins, the legend states that their Rolls Royce cars had Bedford engines, (allegedly).

-petefred2

Hi petefred!

I lived in Frean Street from 1963 - 1970 and used to play in the park you mention.
The park was called Grace Kimmins Gardens.
It was named after Dame Grace Kimmins who was a charity worker.

http://www.infed.org/socialaction/grace ... aywork.htm

Kind regards

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

Return to “Buildings & Streets”