How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Shad Thames

Postby fosney » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:40 am

Posted by bermondseygal

I used to work in shad thames from 1963 - 1967 for butlers wharf
-michael

Hi Michael

my dad worked at Butlers Wharf for 25 years and was there during the years you mention.
Did you know my dad?...he was a stevedore named Harry Longworth.

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!
Quote Reply

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 am

Posted by jimmica

i also worked at butlers in shad thames in about 69 most of the workforce were turk's milling an grinding spices i was one of the few english people there bar the forman an manager i can see the entrance to the yard on google earth if those people who bought apartments there for maybe half a million could see it back then i dont think they would sleep at night it was really gloomy with rats as big as cats

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Posted by Lefora Gues

LeforaGuest

Hi bermondseygal. When I worked at Butlers it was in a small office away from the main block. The office was just off of the quay side and my job was dealing with the lorry drivers and also the dockers. We used to deal with ships that came in from Holland carrying mainly cheese and butter. So I cant say that I knew your dad but I bet a pound to a pinch of s**t that I came across him. I am sorry I am unable to give any more info. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since those absolutely wonderful days of growing up and venturing into the big wide world. I loved it. Take care Michael

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Posted by bermondseygal

Hi bermondseygal. When I worked at Butlers it was in a small office away from the main block. The office was just off of the quay side and my job was dealing with the lorry drivers and also the dockers. We used to deal with ships that came in from Holland carrying mainly cheese and butter. So I cant say that I knew your dad but I bet a pound to a pinch of s**t that I came across him. I am sorry I am unable to give any more info. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since those absolutely wonderful days of growing up and venturing into the big wide world. I loved it. Take care Michael

Hi Michael

thank you for telling me about Butler's Wharf.
My dad, Harry Longworth, worked there for 25 years until 1970 so I bet there's a good chance you crossed paths with my dad.
He once told me a story he claimed to be true concerning a docker and a tub of butter!
My granddad, also named Harry Longworth, worked in customs at Bulters so maybe you knew, or knew of, him and also my dad's brother Jimmy Longworth?

Kind regards

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Posted by Lefora Guest

Hey Bermondseygal. Just a little story about Butlers. When the carmen came to our office, to lodge their orders for collection, we asked them to park up in either Lafone St or Curlew St. When it was time for them to get loaded we used to have a loud speaker system which told them to pull under, for example D4 or C2 warehouse. Anyway one day we had a visit from Screaming Lord Sutch. Some wag decided to send him a message over the tannoy system which stated "Screaming Lord Sutch get your so and so hair cut" Only he swore and everyone who heard it had a great laugh. As a stevedore your relatives would have been unloading the cargo from the ships hold up to the quay side for the dockers to stow in the various warehouses so us office bodes would not have had too much contact your relatives. Such a great life for all concerned. I went to Mark Browns wharf for a couple of years. If I ever think of anything of interest I will let you know. I moved down to the coast many many years ago

Kindest regards
Michael Scorer

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Posted by bermondseygal

Hey Bermondseygal. Just a little story about Butlers. When the carmen came to our office, to lodge their orders for collection, we asked them to park up in either Lafone St or Curlew St. When it was time for them to get loaded we used to have a loud speaker system which told them to pull under, for example D4 or C2 warehouse. Anyway one day we had a visit from Screaming Lord Sutch. Some wag decided to send him a message over the tannoy system which stated "Screaming Lord Sutch get your so and so hair cut" Only he swore and everyone who heard it had a great laugh. As a stevedore your relatives would have been unloading the cargo from the ships hold up to the quay side for the dockers to stow in the various warehouses so us office bodes would not have had too much contact your relatives. Such a great life for all concerned. I went to Mark Browns wharf for a couple of years. If I ever think of anything of interest I will let you know. I moved down to the coast many many years agoKindest regardsMichael Scorer

-michael

Hi Michael

it's so interesting to hear what went on at Butlers.
Sounds like you all had a right old laugh at times!

Yes, please do let me know if you think of anything of interest.

Kind regards

Lesley

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Posted by PD Hathway

lonny All changed since those days the the piers have taken the place of the ships place is full of restaurants and coffee bars great for those with deep pockets. Most of all I remember it as a working area and as a kid going down the steps at Maggie Blakes Cause and going into the river to swim.Thinking about it now a most stupid thing to do but we survived and are here to tell the tale[image]

-fosney

Great shot of Butlers Wharf, it was my first job after leaving school, i was a fifteen year old office boy. I still remember the names of the three regular ships that attended the wharf, they were The African Prince, The Erasmussingel and The Cito, the main goods that came in were spices, tea. coffee beans, cocoa beans, bales of rubber wine and tinned fruit and the smells were incredible.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:34 am

SHAD Thames 1.jpg
Shad Thames, coming from Jamaica Road
Shad Thames 2.jpg
Shad Thames 2016 photo roughly taken from the same place, Queen Elizabeth Street is where the white car is parked.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:56 pm

Shad Thames junction Curlew St c 1980. Photo from Paul Matthews..jpg
Shad Thames junction Curlew St c 1980. Photo from Paul Matthews.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:10 am

Maguire Street runs between Shad Thames & Gainsford Street.
MAGUIRE STREET,SHAD THAMES..jpg
Maguire Street was named after the Reverend Robert Maguire, Rector of St. Olave’s Parish from 1875 until his death in 1890.

Maguire Street, Bermondsey, Shad Thames Pumping Station One of several stations built to pump excess storm sewage into the Thames.
4 Maguire Street, Bermondsey, Shad Thames Pumping Station One of several stations built to pump excess storm sewage into the Thames. X..png
4  Maguire Street, Bermondsey.   X..jpg
Last edited by kiwi on Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”