Put a Name to a Face - People you may know

Family, Friends, People you may know
Belindabee

Re: Winsall family/ Dunn family

Postby Belindabee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:08 am

I wonder if anyone would remember the Winsall family, they lived in Scovell Road after WW1 but the family stayed in the area and I know that there were relatives that came after them, such as children and such like. Would be interesting to know if they stayed in the area and are still there. Also looking to see if there are any relatives of the late Ronald Dunn. I know he ran a pub in the area for Many years with his wife. But does anyone remember them?

Thanks in advance

kiwi

Re: Put a Name to a Face - People you may know

Postby kiwi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Private Ted Saunders of the 2nd Army out shopping with his wife Margaret in Bermondsey while on leave during the Second World War. 7th January 1945.
Private Ted Saunders of the 2nd Army out shopping with his wife Margaret in Bermondsey while on leave during the Second World War. 7th January 1945.  X.png

Frederickay

Postby Frederickay » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:02 am

Hello everyone . I was hoping people may remember my family , Charlotte Sophia Moore lived at 32 canon Munane street which I believe may or may not have been Spa Road or Neckringeer street , my grandmother Lillian Ada Jennings daughter of John Jennings and Alice Sophia JUTSUM was born in Bermondsey and was baptised in St Olave , some names connected were Austen and Vallance . The family were shipped out to Hackney Wick around the war time , love to know anything , ps my gt grandfather was a plasterer pre 1900 of the Bermondsey Hall and was Liberian for the Social Democrat Federation of Bermondsey , so you can see I have a tie to the place , bye Jan ,

Perkins

Postby Perkins » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:01 pm

This photo was taken c.1948 and Eliza Ellen BISSETT (nee YARDLEY) is on the front seated row, 3rd from left. My nan thought it was taken on the Peak Freans trip to Southend-on-sea, but I am not so sure.
Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 13.57.59.png

Perkins

Postby Perkins » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:09 pm

This photo was taken in the 1920s as the girl on the lap of her mother on the right was born in 1919. Top left is Frank Bissett, the girl on the lap of her mother on the right is Margaret Bissett (who married Terence Dinan) and her mother is Eliza Ellen Bissett. I don't know who the others are in the picture or where it is taken. Maybe an allotment or in Kent as they were hoppers.
Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 14.03.31.png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 am

Mr Charles Ash, a dock labourer of Bermondsey, London, rescued a Mrs Hoyes, of Rotherhithe, stated to be the mother of six children. Mr Ash dived in but found that Mrs Hoyes was caught between two barges. He held her up until LCC firemen arrived in a boat, 8 February 1933. It is his fourteenth rescue.
Mr Charles Ash. Labourer saves mother of six children from the Thames at Rotherhithe,1933 his fourteenth rescue.   X.png
Not sure if Mr Ash was awarded anything but he certainly deserved it. What a brave man.

Tooley Street end of Druid Street was called Parish Street in c1900. 2  X..png
Tooley Street end of Druid Street was called Parish Street in c1900.

13-year-old John Baxter of Rotherhithe with his 7th Rescue from the Thames,1920.  X (2).png
13-year-old John Baxter of Rotherhithe with his 7th Rescue from the Thames,1920.
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:26 am

Two brothers, George Dallagan , aged 11 and Edward Dallagan , aged 14 , dived into the Thames from Globe Pier, Rotherhithe, to the rescue of a playmate, aged five, Victor Bowden, who was playing on the steps of the pier when he slipped and fell into the river . They were fully clothed but managed to rescue the boy. Cheering George Dallagan as he was chaired by schoolmates at Albany Road school, Rotherhithe, after the rescue on 19 September 1932.
Just like to add and I could be wrong but I cannot remember an Albany Road in Rotherhithe, so could this possible be Albion Street School.??
Brothers, George & Edward Dallagan from Rotherhithe, dived into the Thames from Globe Pier, Rotherhithe, to rescue a playmate, Victor Bowden aged five. 19 September 1932.  X.png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:27 am

I like to eat and to drink, said Mr George Burgin 57 a gate keeper at Simons Wharf, Tooley Street SE1. Mr Burgin or Uncle Tom as his friends call him has been a policeman for 25 years. Pensioned off with ø3 a week he found he could not indulge in the above-mentioned hobby and he found himself his present job which he has been doing for the last five years, 2nd June 1955.
Mr George Burgin 57 a gate keeper at Simons Wharf, Tooley Street SE1,1955.   X.png
What a Great Smile.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:40 am

Bermondsey Children. 1  X.png
Bermondsey Children.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:12 am

Bronze Medal Southwark Sports Association Jr. Relay,1929.
1 Bronze Medal Southwark Sports Association Jr. Relay.   X..png
1  Bronze Medal Southwark Sports Association Jr. Relay.   X..png

Return to “Bermondsey People”