TOMMY & COLIN HICKS

Family, Friends, People you may know
kiwi

TOMMY & COLIN HICKS

Postby kiwi » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:14 am

Nice to see there is a Blue Plaque for Tommy Steele OBE in Bermondsey, maybe not where we expected it to be, but never the less it does recognize the talent that Tommy brought to both music and stage,
Tommy Born Thomas William Hicks on the 17 December 1936 in Mason Street, Bermondsey, He played the guitar and banjo and was the frontman of ‘The Steelmen’. His single ‘Singing the Blues’ reached number one in 1957 and he became a rock and roll star, as well as acting in films and stage tour.
Colin was in the British ROCK N ROLL scene in the late fifties with a group called the Cabin Boys. He had minor success in England but took a lot of stick from Tommy’s fans, who at the time didn’t want another Tommy Steele, that’s life we all have our favourites, it had nothing to do with lack of talent. At this time, the late 50s Colin decided to go to ITALY, I believe in a show with Marty Wilde. He was quite a success in ITALY and had several hit records made a couple of films one being EUROPE BY NIGHT. His records also sold well in FRANCE where he had quite a big following. In the early 1960s Colin became ill and lost is voice and by the late 60s due to bad management his career I believe fizzled out. I can recall back in England, well into the eighties if there was a ROCK N ROLL GIG with Teddy boys, you could bet sometime during the night you would hear COLIN HICKS name mentioned.
TOMMY AND COLIN both did their bit for BERMONDSEY. I did know both Tommy and Colin, admittedly not that well but they were both down to earth people and both Talented in their own right.
COLIN & TOMMY HICKS.jpg
COLIN & TOMMY,GREAT PICTURE.
Tommy Steele (Hicks).jpg
Tommy Steele (Hicks

TOMMY STEELE, STOCKHOLM 1957.jpg
STOCKHOLM 1957
TOMMY STEELE.jpg

COLIN HICKS.jpg
TOMMY STEELS BLUE PLAQUE, NICKLEBY HOUSE, DICKENS ESTATE, GEORGE ROW.jpg
BLUE PLAQUE. NICKLEBY HOUSE, DICKENS ESTATE George Row, Bermondsey.

Do you believe it :?:
A local rumour still surfaces every so often regarding the possibility that Tommy Steele, "The Bermondsey Boy" singer and actor, was born in Little Thurrock 1936. Little Thurrock electoral role shows a Charles Hicks in residence at 93 Rectory Road, Little Thurrock, with his wife Ellen at that time. :|

Henry Abel

Re: TOMMY & COLIN HICKS

Postby Henry Abel » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Colin Hicks went to my Secondry School in Bermondsey. School was called Credon Road Secondry Modern.
He use get on the school stage and singTommys songs,. Henry Abel

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:25 pm

Colin Hicks.  1  X..jpg
Came across this poster, best guess 1962.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:52 am

Colin Hicks (Tommy Steele's Brother) with Cliff Adams and The Twilights.
Left to right Brian Shields-guitar, Barry Watling - guitar, Cliff Adams, Colin Hicks, Robin Perry -bass and Peter Engham.
Colin Hicks (Tommy Steele's Brother) with Cliff Adams and The Twilights.  X..png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:35 pm

Emma I think is an interior designer, (2023) :?:
3 Tommy and wife Anne Donoghue with their daughter, Emma Elizabeth Hicks, born 1969.  X..jpg
Tommy and wife Anne Donoghue with their daughter, Emma Elizabeth Hicks, born 1969.
3 Tommy Steel, with his Ford Zephyr.  X.jpg
Tommy Steel, with his Ford Zephyr. X

Return to “Bermondsey People”