Hargreave Square

Family, Friends, People you may know
dannydonovan

Hargreave Square

Postby dannydonovan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi,
I am trying to put together a family history and while I have loads of information on my Dad's side, Mum's background is a mystery.
All I know for sure is that she (Ellen Taylor) was born on the 9th August 1917 at 22 Hargreave Square, Bermondsey. Her mother's name was Annorah and her father was William, a lorry driver, but I do not know if he was present or even alive at the time of birth.
If anybody has any information that might help I would be very grateful. This includes any images of Hargreave Square, which I understand ceased to exist many years ago.
Many thanks, Danny

Leithlass

Re: Hargreave Square

Postby Leithlass » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Hi Danny, I am also researching my family tree and have a relative who was born in Hargreave Square but it was back in the 1870s. I would love to see any pictures of the area too. However, I did have a quick look for Annorah and I did find two entries in the Bermondsey Workhouse one for 24 Oct - 12 Nov 1920 and another for 12 Nov - 1 Dec 1920 and the reason for being their was Homeless. She had a 3 year old daughter also in the workhouse which would tie it up with your mother's age. However the child albeit a girl was not called Ellen. It was noted that Annorah's date of 26 Dec 1893 making her 26 at the time and her mother's surname was Gunn. Not sure if this rings any bells. I can send you the workhouse entries if you wish to pursue this further or if you want me to dig a bit deeper I may need to know if your mother was an only child to see if there are any other children. Look forward to hearing from you.

Leithlass

Re: Hargreave Square

Postby Leithlass » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi again - have noticed that there are three children in the workhouse Mary Alice aged 10 although it says her father is Thomas, Nellie aged 3 born 9.8.17 and it looks like another girl born 9.8.17 unable to make out her name but the latter two could be twins? Definitely Annorah's maiden name is Gunn and her mother was Ellen Gunn.

Return to “Bermondsey People”