Mary Ripper

Family, Friends, People you may know
paperboy

Mary Ripper

Postby paperboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 am

As many of you will know - my Mum, Mary Ripper (she'll be 95 years of age in May 2017), still lives independently in Bermondsey. Here's our latest anecdote of this indomitable lady.

She was out shopping down the Blue a week or two back and popped into Thorogoods (furniture, carpets etc). There she spotted a roll of lino she fancied. It was an offcut and she negotiated the price down to £3! Before they changed their mind she got them to put it on top of her shopping trolley, secured by the bungees she keeps in the trolley, apparently for just such eventualities so that she could transport it home. I bet that was a sight, this little old lady wheeling a roll of lino down Southwark Park Road.

Anyway, she told me this on the phone and I asked her what she was going to do with the lino and she said she was about to replace the lino in her bathroom and the lino she'd just bought matched the tiles she'd just put up.

"What tiles, you've just put up?" I asked. She told me that some of the wall tiles had fallen off and she'd got Billy to put them back. Being dissatisfied with his handiwork she took the tiles off and started the job again, re-tiling a half wall in the bathroom!
Last edited by paperboy on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: Mary Ripper

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:31 pm

paperboy wrote:As many of you will know - my Mum, Mary Ripper (she'll be 95 years of age in May 2017), still lives independently in Bermondsey. Here's our latest anecdote in this indomitable lady.

She was out shopping down the Blue a week or two back and popped into Thorogoods (furniture, carpets etc). There she spotted a roll of lino she fancied. It was an offcut and she negotiated the price down to £3! Before they changed their mind she got them to put it on top of her shopping trolley, secured by the bungees she keeps in the trolley, apparently for just such eventualities so that she could transport it home. I bet that was a sight, this little old lady wheeling a roll of lino down Southwark Park Road.

Anyway, she told me this on the phone and I asked her what she was going to do with the lino and she said she was about to replace the lino in her bathroom and the lino she'd just bought matched the tiles she'd just put up.

"What tiles, you've just put up?" I asked. She told me that some of the wall tiles had fallen off and she'd got Billy to put them back. Being dissatisfied with his handiwork she took the tiles off and started the job again, re-tiling a half wall in the bathroom!

Hi Ken
Is she looking for a job? ;)
I need some Plumbing and tilling done?
What a great character, not many of these left.
I'm betting she has some great stories to tell.

Steve.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 pm

What a Ripper of a lady Mary is, independent, definitely not off her Trolley and likes a night-out on the Tiles.
Happy birthday in May Mrs Ripper and I hope you have many more. :)

barberboy

Postby barberboy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 am

She sounds a bit like my mum, sadly not with us anymore. long life to her.
Thanks for help finding Christine Buck, really good to talk to her.
I dont suppose you know where Susan Dixon is or was? She lived with sister Pauline in Huberd house Manciple st, dad was Dick and mum Joyce.
They moved to Merstham and I lost touch. Any help appreciated.
Mike

paperboy

Postby paperboy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 pm

This is Pauline's facebook page .. https://www.facebook.com/pauline.maloney1/about?lst=727303854%3A551589175%3A1510788936

You might try messaging her, but she doesn't use Fb very much. Perhaps find a friend of hers who is a regular user of FB, they might be able to put you in touch with Pauline.

I think she remarried and Cameron Buckmaster is her son https://www.facebook.com/cameron.buckmaster. Dyllan is also a son https://www.facebook.com/dyllan.maloney?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab&pnref=friends.all

Can't get any closer I'm afraid. None of this info is confidential, it's all in the public domain.

Paperboy

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:53 am

:(
Mary Ann Ripper.  X..jpg

Return to “Bermondsey People”