Gorin/Booth families, Lucey Road, Arnold’s Estate

A little bit about yourself growing up in Bermondsey
Begginton

Gorin/Booth families, Lucey Road, Arnold’s Estate

Postby Begginton » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:06 am

I’m Belinda, a Bermondsey girl, born and lived in Lucey Road from 1958 to 1967, then Eldridge Court 1967 to 1973. Went to St Joseph’s primary Dockhead, then St Ursula’s Greenwich. Parents were Michael and Maureen Gorin, both still alive. Dad is 91 today!! Grandparents Gorin, Booth, Metcalfe and Woodley.
I remember going Hopping to Paddock Wood as a small child, playing in the street, under the arches! From upstairs in 90 Lucey Rd we could see a sign on a chimney which was a smiling pig with a fork in a sausage. We could also see over into the barrel yards. Dad was a docker in Tooley Street as was his father before him. Anyone know us??
Dad had a shop in Abbey Street for a while called Gorin’s Electrics, and did some work for British Relay fixing TVs.

kiwi

Re: Gorin/Booth families, Lucey Road, Arnold’s Estate

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi Belinda.
Welcome to the site, nice to think this is your mum in the Coronation picture. I will try and locate where I got this picture from, so fingers crossed that I can and if, so I will let you know.
I see you call it alley gobs as well (not sure if that is right either), most people I say that to don’t know what I am on about. Beaches mainly made jam, lemon curd & mince-meat, when I worked there (1959 to 63?) we delivered the above plus Orange & Lemon Squash. The chimney with the pig was Richmond Sausages in Spa Road. Say a belated happy to your dad for me. :)

Return to “Member's Short Stories”