Layard Road

A little bit about yourself growing up in Bermondsey
PeterD

Layard Road

Postby PeterD » Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am

I grew up in Layard Road in the war years: went to Southwark Park Infants and Juniors then off to a posh School in Suffolk. Came back in 1956 before joining the RAF in 1958. My Dad (Fred) was a Milkman; my sister Enid, after marrying Brian Thatcher emigrated to Australia. Mum and Dad moved up to Jamaica road, into a flat above the shops when Layard Road was "redeveloped". Fond memories of playing cricket (of sorts) on the dog-leg of Layard rd with the stumps being drawn in chalk on the school wall. Playing football in the street and a weird game, using two pieces of wood, one balanced on the kerb and the other used to strike it then making a score by running across the road to the other kerb. I especially remember Dave Webb, who actually lived round the corner on Drummond Rd, and the trip we made on our Bikes to my Aunt's at Bosham (near Chichester) one summer.. Amongst others, I can remember are Roy James, (who nicked a girlfriend from me!) and Alan Reeves and Teddy Townsend, but most names I've forgotten. I now live in Yorkshire, had two children, one of whom was killed in Iraq two years ago, the other, my daughter lives up here. I have ten grandchildren (6 biological and 4 step children's children) I have been widowed for past two years and spend most of my time these days as a volunteer caseworker for a Veterans charity. It would be great to get in contact with anyone from those days of the 40's/50's
Peter Dawson lived at 39 Layard Rd.

kiwi

Re: Layard Road

Postby kiwi » Fri May 12, 2017 5:00 am

Hi Peter, welcome to the site. I have a little bit of information which might be of interest to you from a person named James, I think it could be the Roy you mentioned. He had a brother called John,Dad Alf & Mum Ellen (Nellie). If you would like me to send this to you just send me your Email address in a private message and I will Email it to you. Cheers Kiwi (Ray).

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Wed May 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Hello peter
My name is Jim Lunney I lived at 13 Layard rd and knew all your family
My older brother was Terry I Had a sister Pat and little brother Michael
I remember when Enid went off to Australia ,there was a Barbara who lived
Opposite you a David Bertram and a Brenda Basham too name a few.
It would great to keep in touch ,if you could let me know how,
Hope to hear from you. All the best. Jimlunney in

jamchocks

Postby jamchocks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:34 am

Hello,
I'm Roy James from number 32. It is so good to make contact with old friends and neighbours from Layard Road. I would like to hear from Jim Lunney and Peter Dawson.
Jim, I do remember Terry; didn't he have a stall down the Blue and start a small supermarket?
Peter, yes I remember your posh school and 'trig' as you called it.
I have recently made contact with David Webb's next door neighbour, and Teddy Townsend's niece. Sorry to say that Teddy died a few years ago.
Billy Williams went to run a bar in Tenerife many years ago.
Have either of you heard from anyone else from Layard Road? Like Michael and Peter Danglitus (not sure of spelling).
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,
Roy

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Hello Roy James I do remember you, I tried every avenue to contact Peter Dawson,but with no success ,Terry did have a stall down the Blue, later when he bought the shop my parents ran it till they retired, Terry took up playing squash and became a coach at a local centre in Kent ,he died three years on Boxing day awkward to the last. If you have an E mail address and know how to get it to me by the private message system it would nice to keep in contact
Hoping to hear from you. Cheers. Jimlunney

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 am

Hi Roy & Jim, been away so just catching up. Regarding Peter Dawson. Roy, I did pass on a message to him through his email (25 Nov), saying you was trying to get in touch and I would leave it there for him to get in touch with you (on site). I would not give his email out without his permission, so assuming his email is still the same and with a bit of luck, you may hear from Peter.
KIWI (RAY).

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:17 am

Hello Roy James
Never seem to make contact with people on this site, would l like to get in touch with someone from Layard rd ,so if anyone is out there, please leave a message
Jimlunney

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Sat May 19, 2018 8:35 pm

Hello Roy James
Haven't heard from you yet, was hoping to have some form of contact with someone from Bermondsey, would be nice to find someone else who lived in abject poverty, only kidding.If you are still using this site Roy please get in touch would love to catch up on all things Bermondsey...
Cheers. Jimlunney

Lawrie

Postby Lawrie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi, PeterD,

I have been doing a bit of ancestry research and find that family also lived at 39 Layard Road but in 1901.

I know from your message that the road was redeveloped but is the home likely to have been spared, or might the current property be
post redevelopment?

thanks

Lawrie

Tinaf

Postby Tinaf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:15 pm

We were a Jamaican family that lived at 2B Layard Road in the 1950s to 1960s. I have no recollections of the area as we moved away when I was very young. I had to check my birth certificate to confirm the address. I understand the name of this street no longer exists. I now live in Dubai and plan to visit London later this year and have my older brother take me on a walk about.

Return to “Member's Short Stories”