Newcomer

A little bit about yourself growing up in Bermondsey
Oscar31

Newcomer

Postby Oscar31 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:19 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum which I find most interesting. Although born in Kent I was raised and lived in Bermondsey "on the Neckinger Estate and then moved on to Tabard Garden Estate later. I attended Snowsfield Primary School in the late forties early fifties then attended Mina Road School up until 1957. Interesting seeing all the old pics of the area especially around Tower Bridge Road and Mina Road Area. Our dad use to take me and my brother to the Thomas a Beckett pub to watch all the boxers training on the first floor of the pub. Remember seeing Pete Waterman, Boswell st Louis and many other fighters of the day. I’m sure Henry Cooper and his brother George trained there a few times.
I think the headmaster in the junior school at Mina Road was a Mr Rogers. A favourite teacher being Mr McCloud who taught English. Who would forget PT with Paddy Reilly was always something to look forward to or not as the case may be. Great school with lots of memories.
Will check in to the forum as and when I can work and travelling permitting.

All the best to you all

kiwi

Re: Newcomer

Postby kiwi » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:49 am

Oscar31 wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to this forum which I find most interesting. Although born in Kent I was raised and lived in Bermondsey "on the Neckinger Estate and then moved on to Tabard Garden Estate later. I attended Snowsfield Primary School in the late forties early fifties then attended Mina Road School up until 1957. Interesting seeing all the old pics of the area especially around Tower Bridge Road and Mina Road Area. Our dad use to take me and my brother to the Thomas a Beckett pub to watch all the boxers training on the first floor of the pub. Remember seeing Pete Waterman, Boswell st Louis and many other fighters of the day. I’m sure Henry Cooper and his brother George trained there a few times.
I think the headmaster in the junior school at Mina Road was a Mr Rogers. A favourite teacher being Mr McCloud who taught English. Who would forget PT with Paddy Reilly was always something to look forward to or not as the case may be. Great school with lots of memories.
Will check in to the forum as and when I can work and travelling permitting.

All the best to you all

Hi Oscar31, welcome to the site, glad you are enjoying the posts. Cheers Kiwi.

Oscar31

Re: Newcomer

Postby Oscar31 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:29 pm

many thanks Kiwi, looking forward to a long association with Bermondseyboy. I have many fond memories of SE1. My dad's family came out of Pages Walk and my mum's family are from the Neckinger Estate area and South Bermondsey area.. I'll continue to read and enjoy all of the comments of everyone's contributions. My wife of 50 years says that " You can take the boy out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the boy" I'll take the as a compliment every day and smile. Cheers.

Return to “Member's Short Stories”