BOBBY ABEL (CRICKET)

General Stuff about Bermondsey thats not listed
kiwi

BOBBY ABEL (CRICKET)

Postby kiwi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 am

Robert (Bobby) Abel, nicknamed “The Guv’nor”, Surrey & England opening batsman. Born in Commercial Road, Rotherhithe in 1857 & sadly died in 1936 totally blind. He played most of his earlier cricket in Southwark Park, where a Blue Plaque has been erected in his honour. Southwark Park was the original home of the Oval and you can still see the banks where spectators watched some of England’s greatest players, in particular Bobby Abel who was the first Englishman to carry his bat in a test innings and he still holds the record for the highest score for Surrey CC with his knock of 357 in 1899. Even when he was playing for Surrey he still remembered his roots & would return from time to time to play in Southwark Park. Not to sure about Commercial Road, as I can’t seem to locate it. I know there was a Commercial Street Off Lower Road in the 1860s, so maybe someone can confirm one way or the other.
Born in Rotherhithe,England Cricketer..jpg
BOBBY ABEL.jpg
BLUE PLAQUE,SOUTHWARK PARK, BERMONDSEY..jpg

Located Commercial Road (1860). It ran across the Market Garden ,which was there at the time, before it became Southwark Park. A rough idea of where it run at the time, is from Gomm Road and towards Hawkstone Road and at the back of Orange Place, which is off Lower Road
Last edited by kiwi on Sat May 19, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

DinaHaines

Re: BOBBY ABEL (CRICKET)

Postby DinaHaines » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:33 am

Since Abel was not earning much from cricket, he tried his hand at manufacturing cricket gear in 1894. His company came to be known as Abel & Son. Since his business started to incur losses, he sold it. He was given monetary help by his cricketing colleagues and friends in those difficult times.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri May 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Thank you for the information Dina
Bobby was married to Sarah Reffell (1861–1923) at St Martin in the Fields on 31 January 1881, the daughter of Henry William Reffell (1833-1891) and Ann Bull (1836-1902) from the Bermondsey branch of the Reffell family. Both newly-weds were local with the marriages certificate giving their addresses as 7 and 22 Mercer Road. The family stayed in the area where they grew up, living in Raymouth Road, Pedworth Road, Trigon Road before moving to 43 Handforth Road in Kennington during 1888.
Bobby started a cricket manufacturing business with a business partner at 310 Kennington Road during 1894, subsequently becoming Abel & Son. By 1902, the business of Abel & Son was on the rocks and it was sold off.
Bobby was given financial assistance by his old club and well-wishers until he died at 43 Handforth Road on 10 December 1936, having outlived his wife Sarah by thirteen years. His estate was valued at £864 9s 7d. He is buried with Sarah and three of their children at Nunhead Cemetery.

Steve Shaw

Postby Steve Shaw » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi Kiwi and Dina.
Around three years ago I was mooching around a bric a brac market in Chesterfield, Derbyshire and found this gem of an antique. I saw a cricket bat made by Robert ( Bobby ) Abel. It was the date on the bat that made me buy it. 29.04.24
I thought it would be a nice piece to hang on the wall of my bar, not realising how famous Bobby was as a batsman.
For a few years now I've been researching his cricketing career with Surrey also England. Bermondsey Boy came up in my searches so I thought I'd join the group to try & find some history of the cricket bat.
Thanks for all the info you have both provided about this guy also his business after he fell ill.

Here are a few photos of the cricket bat. I'm really not sure how much it's worth but saw one that had a guide price of between £3,000 to £5,000 https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4743515
BBC tv series the bidding room was interested in the item but since they phoned me in January of this year, I've heard nothing since. I'm in the process of having it valued. Not to sell but just to know how much it's worth. I've only ever seen one similar, that was on Christie's Auctions London as above in the link.
I would love to know more about the history of the cricket bat manufacturing business where this bat came from or any family member who could provide more info.

Thanks for letting me join the group, much appreciated.

Steve Shaw
Attachments
Robert Able. 1.JPG
Robert Able. 6.jpg
Robert Able. 4.png
Robert Able. 5.jpg
Robert Able. 3.jpg
Robert Able. 2.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:00 am

Hi Steve,welcome to the site. Thank you for these great pictures of Bobby Abels cricket bats and the story of how you found them. "Chesterfield, about three years ago", boy why did I not look round that market in 2014 when I was in Chesterfield. :cry: ;) . Kiwi.
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Shaw

Postby Steve Shaw » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:49 am

Thanks & you're welcome! It was a bargain! only paid £7 for it Lol.

Return to “General Postings”