John Henry Tyler

General Stuff about Bermondsey thats not listed
davidtyler

John Henry Tyler

Postby davidtyler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Hello - I am trying to reply to user SimonW about a post from Aug 28 15 9:30 AM in the old Bemondsey Boy forum - can't locate in this forum - here's what wrote followed by my reply:

Hi All
I am researching my family history and came across a couple of pubs in the Bermondsey area that were run by my wifes ancestors. Yhe first was the Blue Anchor Pub on Southwark Park Road. In the 1860s/70s my wifes g.g.g.grandfather John Henry Tyler was the landlord (http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/Bermo ... chor.shtml). In the early 1870s it was demolished and replaced with the building that currently stands. I am trying to find any photos of the original Blue Anchor pub prior to 1875 as I think he may have been the last landlord before it was pulled down. I recently went in to the Blue Anchor while in London but unfortunately the lady i spoke to didnt think they had any photos of the old building. The other pub i am interested in finding out about is The Vine which was on Vine Lane between Tooley Street and Pickle Herring Street (http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/South ... Vine.shtml). in 1861 this was run by Mary A Roach who was the landlady at the Blue Anchor prior to John Henry Tyler taking over. I believe Mary was John Henrys aunt although I am not sure on this at the moment. I am also not sure when this pub shut down. After searching the forums here i understand Vine Lane is proving difficult to find photos for but I thought I would ask. I am really hoping that someone may have a photo or drawings of the old Blue Anchor pub or even some history of the original building as I have not been able to find any.
Many thanks in advance
Simon

MY REPLY:
Simon - not sure if you're still in this thread but would like to make contact.
My name is David Tyler and John Henry Tyler is my ggg grandfather as well - I am the son of Barry Stirling Tyler, who is the son of John Parnell Tyler who is the son of Percy Parnell Tyler who is the son of Frederick Edwin Tyler who is the son of John Henry Tyler and Mary Ann Cartlitch - I believe that Mary Ann Roach was the grandmother of John Henry & Mary Ann's 8 children as listed in the Vine Pub census in 1861 but can't place the Roach name yet and would like to get back further than John Henry and Mary Ann - I have recently been exploring those 2 pubs/inns history as well - I live in Toronto - hope to connect

If additional people have connections or knowledge of the above would love to connect as well
David Tyler

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: John Henry Tyler

Postby bermondseyboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi David

Unfortunately simonw has not re-joined this site and i do not have his email address.
However i have sent him a message through the old site in the hope that he will receive it?
Fingers crossed :D

Steve.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Posted by simonw

Hi All

I am researching my family history and came across a couple of pubs in the Bermondsey area that were run by my wifes ancestors.

The first was the Blue Anchor Pub on Southwark Park Road. In the 1860s/70s my wifes g.g.g.grandfather John Henry Tyler was the landlord (http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/Bermo ... chor.shtml). In the early 1870s it was demolished and replaced with the building that currently stands. I am trying to find any photos of the original Blue Anchor pub prior to 1875 as I think he may have been the last landlord before it was pulled down. I recently went in to the Blue Anchor while in London but unfortunately the lady i spoke to didnt think they had any photos of the old building.

The other pub i am interested in finding out about is The Vine which was on Vine Lane between Tooley Street and Pickle Herring Street (http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/South ... Vine.shtml). in 1861 this was run by Mary A Roach who was the landlady at the Blue Anchor prior to John Henry Tyler taking over. I believe Mary was John Henrys aunt although I am not sure on this at the moment. I am also not sure when this pub shut down.

After searching the forums here i understand Vine Lane is proving difficult to find photos for but I thought I would ask. I am really hoping that someone may have a photo or drawings of the old Blue Anchor pub or even some history of the original building as I have not been able to find any.

Many thanks in advance

Simon

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:20 am

Hi Simon, not a lot of information but hope this helps. Kiwi.
The Blue Anchor Pub, where the present building has stood since 1878 which replaced the previous wooden structure on the site, where the earliest known depiction of an Inn or Tavern appears on the first map of the area dating back to 1695. So the ‘Blew Anchor’ must have been a well know landmark by this time to have been included on a 1695 map and it is probably safe to conclude that given the trend of continuity in ancient times, the site must have been the location of previous incarnations of a similar nature for many centuries previously, that would have served to provide respite and a safe haven for travellers to Bermondsey Abbey and beyond, from what must have been a very hostile landscape of swampy marshlands.
The Blue Anchor Pub, the present building has stood since 1878 which replaced the previous wooden structure on the site.
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, PRE-1878.png
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, PRE-1878
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, AFTER 1878..jpg
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, AFTER 1878.
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB,BERMONDSEY,1695.png
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, BERMONDSEY, 1695

Return to “General Postings”