Discussion everything Bermondsey

General Stuff about Bermondsey thats not listed
bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Discussion everything Bermondsey

Postby bermondseyboy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:37 pm

V0019 Now & Then.jpg
It Say's it all

There seems to be many changes from when we were kids to what the kids are like today.

One in particular is that we could not get out of our house fast enough to play with our mates.
The kids of today just want to sit in front of there computers.
This is just the times we live in now, with so much information at our finger tips.

I must admit i have now slipped into this way of life myself, sitting in front of my computer with all the information i need at a click of a button.

What are your feelings about these changes and have you become like the kids of today? :shock:

kiwi

Re: Discussion everything Bermondsey

Postby kiwi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:46 am

Had to have a little think about this Steve simple because the powers to be have gone well over the top and too PC. Child Services, it’s called CYF in NZ should be for the safety and interest of the child & the family. Common sense doesn’t come into it they seem to want complete control over everything & will not even liaison with other departments, Police or Family members who probably know more of the family history or situation than they do & could help. Sadly because of this a lot of families are suffering & in the worst cases Children are dying, sadly our family as suffered because of this.
Regarding a clip round the ear it never done me any harm. No one should condone the beating of anyone let alone of a Child but a slap on the leg or arm, come on.
Now it’s go to your room & the Kids say great, away from the parents I can watch Telly, play my Computer games & even talk to my friends on the phone & Text, this is really a smashing punishment I should do this more often.
Have I become like the kids of today? Regarding the computer, yes but you can blame Lefora for that, :twisted: now it’s like playing catch-up but then you would not do it if you did not enjoy it. Luckily, we have people like yourself, Joe (Fosney) & I’ll include myself in that, who believe that the old Bermondsey & areas we love should be kept, stored & remembered. For myself I’m proud that I came from Bermondsey that’s were my roots are & I will never forget that.

Now what was the QUESTION? Cheers Ray (Kiwi) ;)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:16 am

This is a post by Bermondseyboy from old site. Apr 21 12 11.
I noticed that Matheson's post mentioned the name of W. M & A Quiney in Paradise Street.
I short while ago I got a message from Leytonstoneboy and I quote, I visited Bermondsey on Sunday with my nephews children and we stopped at the Angel for a drink, while we were there the 2 young boys went on the beach looking for anything interesting and there found a small metal name plate with the following on it. W M & A Quiney, Makers, Paradise Street. Can anyone give me any information about Quiney and what they made.
Hope this helps. Steve.
quin.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Cockney Slang..jpg
Cockney Slang
d7b269198387ac129dff638b33298aa9e2514060_r.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:22 am

Sadly I dont think so.jpg
Sadly I don't think so.

Briteyesg

Postby Briteyesg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:32 am

Fellow kiwi born and breed in NZ . Father in law born in Bermondsey 1922 in the district of St Olave, fought in ww2. Lots of great stories of his life as he wrote his memoir s before he passed away

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:59 am

Bermondsey Workhouse.jpg
Bermondsey Workhouse
DAFFODILS,.jpg

Don’t know who wrote this Poem but it is
about Bermondsey and I don’t know why
but I feel to post it on the same page of
this sad picture seems right.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:50 am

Insight into what was happening in our area in 1942..jpg
Insight into what was happening in our area in 1942.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed May 08, 2019 3:34 am

BERMONDSEY.png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:59 pm

Remember this well when living in Guinness's Blds, Pages Walk, never have liked rats to this day, four or two legged ;)
A rat catcher displays the number of rodents he has caught in and around the slums of Bermondsey,1957.  X.png
A rat catcher displays the number of rodents he has
caught in and around the slums of Bermondsey,1957.
Another worker prepares deadly bait for the rats on what is described as a Bermondsey 'rat run’ 1957.  X.png
Another worker prepares deadly bait for the rats on what
is described as a Bermondsey 'rat run’ 1957

Return to “General Postings”