Tommy Steele on the move

A Selection of videos of Bermondsey
and the people that lived there
bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Tommy Steele on the move

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:53 pm

Tommy Steel leaves Bermondsey, moves to Catford.
Why was his Dad called Darbo?

rodebdon

Re: Tommy Steele on the move

Postby rodebdon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:54 pm

Why as Tommy Steeles dad called Darbo?.

Hi Bermondseyboy,in Tommy Steeles book (you can all guess the title there's a big clue here) he asked his Dad about the nickname he said. 'Cos I'm Tommy Hicks,and my dad was Tommy Hicks,and so was his dad, and we was all called Darbo.

But I'm Tommy Hicks so why a'int I Darbo?, cos you a'int,said his dad.

Thank's again for the film clips

Rod.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi Rod

Thanks for the explanation, yes I have the book and yes you are correct, however it does not explain how he and his Father got the name Darbo, I don't think Tommy Steele knows either.
One more thing thats bugging me, on the Video the commentary says that Tommy's Dad in the clip is his Stepdad? is this not Darbo, he certainly looks like the photograph in the book?
Or is it, i'm getting so Old that my earing and sight have gone or am i just plain stupid.

Be Truthful, it wont hurt my feelings much? -- it's Stupid ain't it.

Cheers

Bermondseyboy

rodebdon

Postby rodebdon » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi Bermondseyboy

Don't worry you aint't stupid, I thought exactly the same thing,he does look like the picture of his dad in the book.Could it be that there spelling was even worse than mine,bearing in mind there great interest in horse raceing could it originaly be intended as "Derby" after the classic event at Epson. Far fetched perhaps but if Tommy dosn't know who does,

I had the book as a christmas present and really enjoyed reading about someone else's recollections of Bermondsey.Pits Head were they lived could have been on the site of Harold Estate.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:57 pm

Posted by crosby34

One nice little touch, regarding the new flats built on the site of his old house in Frean St is the developers have called it Hicks House. I wonder how many people living there will know what it means. What a great book though.
The Harold estate was built in the thirties (along with lots of similar estates in Bermondsey) and they replaced dozens of little alleys and cut throughs. Reading his book I didn't realise just how rough it was south of Tower Bridge Rd. I used to live in the old railway buildings in Webb St and it seemed good enough in the 60s. If I have a pre thirties map I'll try and post it.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:58 pm

Posted by yackiejackie123

I lived in Bermondsey- 277 Weston Street, from 1944 - 1968 - to answer why Tommy Steels dad was called Darbo - My Dad was Darbo's cousin and dont know why he was so called. unfortunately all parents aunts and uncles who may have known are no longer here - but in those days there were a lot of nicknames for the men- My dad was Alf Smith but known as Dot - his brother was George but known as Nobby - there was also a "Waggy" Whitnall who had a stall (fish I think)down the Tower Bridge Road, another mate of theirs was called "Rhubarb" havent got a clue why. I also never heard that Darbo was his Stepdad - I am sure he wasnt - I will try and see if any of my cousins know why he was called Darbo - but if Tommy doesnt I shouldnt think they would know

Lots of lovely memories reading all these messages - well done to Bermondseyboy for putting all these videos on and starting this site.

Return to “Videos”