Bermondsey Square

A Selection of videos of Bermondsey
and the people that lived there
bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Bermondsey Square

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Posted by kathy

Found this on Facebook - quite interesting. Tells about the archaeological dig before the recent redevelopment, and how the antiques market has survived.

Bermondseyboy, if you can embed this video, I'd be grateful - can't see how to do it on here.

Kathy

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: Bermondsey Square

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Posted by freddie

Wonderful video. Well spotted Kathy and thanks for posting the link.
freddie

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Posted by kathy

You're welcome freddie. Hopefully others will enjoy as well. I particularly enjoyed listening to the local dealers - such a cheerful bunch. The archaeologists sounded local as well, or at any rate London in general.

Kathy

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:38 pm

Posted by freddie

Although times have changed and the last I heard was that the antique stall holders/traders were not too happy about the council raising the rents and they were moving out!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:38 pm

HI EVERYONE.

Great video of Bermondsey Square Kathy, watched with mixed feelings. Firstly it was nice to see both young and old say they were happy the way it had turned out, not sure if all of them were locals or just travelled in for the Market. Which at the end of the day doesn’t really matter if they work there and they are happy that’s a bonus? As for me, being brought up in the forties and fifties in and around that area a little bit sad. We still have our memories and this great site to keep them alive with pictures and videos, all I need now is a mirror that doesn’t keep reminding me I was born in 1942.

Hoping Freddie can keep us up to date regarding the raising of the rents, be a shame after all of the changes the stall holders/traders decided to move out.

KIWI

nuttyboy pat

Postby nuttyboy pat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am

What a fantastic video. Brought back so many happy memories of the square when I was a child! We lived in Abbey Buildings opposite the Square and on Friday mornings and evenings, before and after school, me and my mates would help put up the and take down the stalls for the antique market traders for a few shillings (about 20p).
Over the rest of the week the square became a sort of unofficial car park, there were only ever about a dozen cars in there at any one time and no parking charges!

Thanks again :) :) :) :)

Return to “Videos”