Site Admin

We was all one

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:40 pm

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: We was all one

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Posted by bermondseygirl

I have just been watching this video as nothing much on the TV and its snowing hard here in Kent.
It was such a wonderful video to watch. Thank you so much for putting it on this Bermondsey Boy site. I have laughed and cried whilst I watched it. The people down East Lane I can remember so well on the stalls. My aunt used to take me to the Caledonian market in Bermondsey or the Cally as it was called. Went to both last year and the atmosphere has gone. Loved the ladies in the pub. My mum always said what one of the ladies said. She used to say No body is better than you are and you are not better than anyone else. It must have been one of the best things she ever said. My dad always told me never to be ashamed I was brought up in Bermondsey and I never have been. People talk about the cockney accent but when you listen to those people they didnt talk badly did they it was just a way with them. I loved the hop picking bit. My dad used to tell me how it was a hive of activity when the hop picking letters came round. Everyone saying have you got your letter and where are you going. He went once and he stole apples of the tree. The farmer chased him and then a policeman. Dad ran and ran and then went into a sweet shop to escape. Didnt know what to do and when the shop person asked him what he wanted he said a Toblerone although he couldnt quite pronounce it correctly. He often made me laugh about Toblerones after that. His mum sent him back to London whilst she stayed on hop picking. His dad was a tram driver in the Old Kent Road and my dad had to go to work with him. Dad said every time the tram stopped his dad gave him another wallop for stealing the apples and being sent home cos he had to take him to work with him. He said he hadnt seen apples on trees before and just thought you could take them. Loved hearing all the old songs. I knew all the words still! Also was telling people at work the other day about harvest festivals. I went to Mina Road school and we did a harvest festival for the old people. Took to school tin food etc. I used to love that. Always liked to help people. As the man in the video said we looked after each other. I remember peoples houses with their doors open and a big stone to hold the door back. People made mats out of old clothing material. Mum used to scrub the front as she called it every week and the doorstep. I never see anyone do that now. She used to have holes in her stocking knees sometimes and they used to call the skin that showed through spuds. Then the women used to roll the stockings down round their ankles. I shall show the film to my husband tomorrow and no doubt have another cry!!!!

Bermondseygirl

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Bermondseygirl

I'm glad you liked the video.
The old lady dancing at 00:500 just before the title We Ws All One comes up is my Nan.
This part always brings a tear to my eyes as well, she was a wonderful Lady.
She lived in Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk, she also used the Victoria as well as the George pub.
She was about 96 years young when she passed away. I still miss her.........

Bermondseyboy

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Posted by bermondseygirl

What a wonderful lady she was. Doing my ancestry today as it is still snowing. My ancestors lived in Vauban Street and Abbey Street. Lots of children born and lots died. What a hard life they had.

Bermondseygirl

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Posted by lightandbitter

bermonseyboy thank you, im getting into this, docker in yellow shirt & grey hair is my uncle chris still with us. Blendon Row what a dump went out with a lass from there once Sonia couldnt pronoun last name let alone spell it. Best night in Thomae Abecket one hit wonder band Blackfoot-Sue (spelt correctly) last gig in pub as single Standing in the Road made no 4 in charts didnt hear much of them after that. Have photos to send when and if i can find out how scaner works will post some details of where im from, again if i can find the page again.
lightandbitter

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Posted by superminx

HI,
Ive just watch this video and found ir very interesting as I was born in Guys march 1968.
My first home was down the blue behind the old woolworth. Then we moved to Abbey Building on Abbey Street and lastly moving to Abbey St. We moved out of Bermondsey in June 1981 where we moved to Northampton.
I was wondering if any one knows where I can buy a copy of this Video or DVD so I can take it round my mums and dad to watch.
Thank you
Simon

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:49 pm

Posted by norman

I was really interested to see this documentary again. I have been looking for it in my old videos but couldn't find it. I am hopefully moving soon and was throwing all my old videos away and wanted to make sure that I still had this video, but I was dissapointed that I could not find it. I am in the documentary, right near the end, in the Thomas A'Beckett pub. The bit with the stripper. I am in the front row with two of my mates.
Although, I am not strictly speaking a Bermondsey boy - I was born and raised in Deptford - I used to frequent a lot of the pubs in and around the Bermondsey area because one of my mates, who is in the documentary with me, used to live on the Rockingham Estate at the Elephant. Also, one of my first jobs was as a telegram boy at the main post office in Borough High St (S.E.D.O.).
Anyone remember the Frog and Nightgown, The World Turned Upside Down, The Green Man and the Charlie Chaplin at the Elephant to name but a few?

Thanks for awakening the memories.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Posted by leesonya9375

kid on the loo was mick Oshaunessy my mate

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:51 pm

Posted by lawford33

great videos,thanks for sharing. some great people.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Posted by kathy

The vid gave a good feel for an older Bermondsey being dragged into the new age. Loved watching it. Loved the warmth of the old women on their special day in the pub. The bit with the women singing "Hopping Down in Kent" used to be shown on a circular vid in one of the bells at (Whitbread) Hop Farm (now Family Park), as part of their history of the hop industry. I think that's gone now, as it's been through a couple of owners since I saw it. I live not too far from Beltring. The old 'rents' - the Victorian flats - with the rat problem gave me some idea of what it would have been like for my Bermondsey ancestors when they were very poor, although the 1960s inhabitants looked in a better state than my ancestors would have done. I thought it a shame that some of the terraces were bulldozed to make way for those soulless tower blocks. Some of them actually looked quite nice - the ones with the arch-topped doorways/porches and windows, and just needed modernising. They'd be worth a bomb nowadays.Then there would have been the same community feeing as there always had been. Why try to mend something when it ain't broke? My mother was proud to have come from Bermondsey, but she could never get me to be particularly interested. It's only through doing my family history that I have become interested, and I'm very grateful for this forum.

Return to “Videos”