A Selection of videos of Bermondsey
and the people that lived there
bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: We was all one

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi Kathy

I also loved that Vid.
I remember quite a few of the old girls in the Marigold, they used to wonder up and down Tower Bridge Road doing there shopping.
The old Lady having little dance in the Video at 0.48 in. is my Nan, she lived in Guinness Buildings.
And the young Girl eating Jeelied eels at the stool down East Lane is my cousin, so it has a special place in my life.
It's funny that has a child growing up in Bermondsey i never considered myself as being poor, but now looking back i guess we were not rich by any means. " I would'nt change it for the world"

Thanks
Steve.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Posted by googiewivs

I have acopy of this video We were living in Victoria house Blendon Row at the time it was made.There is a quick shot of my wife and her mate looking out of the landing window.My wife is the one on the right of the window in blue cardy her mate Janet is in a yellow jumper.I could have joined them but decided to stand back and not be seen.Sometimes we play it and use the pause to see how young they are.There was a long time filming the rats there were hundreds of them in the park hut but this was edited out for some reason.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Posted by cjwalsh31

Part 2 and 3 is my G-Grandfather Joe Rolfe (Olliffe)1920s Bermondsey Boxer who boxed all the champions in england in he's time. Anyone who knew of him or have any info please contact me.
thanks Chris

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Posted by cjwalsh31

the little boxer in the video is Tom Daly lightweight boxer with 96 fights under he's belt, he fought in the 1920s/30s, he was also best pals with Joe Rolfe.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Posted by biofeast

I was in the this documentary,I was one of the boys from bacon school singing at the church on harvest festival,I remember so many faces in the film.Im sure one of them old ladies worked in manzies.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:21 pm

HI

Have just watch the video,boy were do you begin,so many faces from the past that i can recognise.The ladies in the pub, admitted i don't know their names but i do remember most of their faces.so many emotions i don;t know whether to laugh or cry,it could be my mum there.Wonderful down to earth hard working women who never gave up, so much respect for them,.WOW it,s a cup of tea time.I had to laugh when one of them said she still had a scrubbing board, so do i all the way from Bermondsey to NZ. Hearing the noises of East Lane was brilliant, i remember the man selling the Black current.Like to have seen the man with the suitcase who sold ties & hankie's.Who use to do a runner when the the copper who didn't take a back hander came along,those were the days.I can remember Tom Bushell very well also the lady Lizzie who use to take him to the pub,was it Meakin Estate they were coming out of.The rats in the buildings brought back memories of living in Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk,we never had many in the flats but there were plenty running round the square & in the bike sheds.I'm still scared of them to this day.( go on you can call me a wimp).It was nice to see Tommy Daly he was friends with my Mum & Dad & came up to our flat in Guinness a few times,they always spoke well off him, Joe Rolfe was another face i recognise.Like the man in the video i can remember my mum waiting for the letter to go hop picking,and worrying when it was late arriving.I've already watch the video three times (go on say it sad old git), but the bit that makes me smile with pride is the old gentlemen & old lady receiving their Harvest Festival bags from the youngsters & both of them not forgetting to say thank you.My mum always said to us we may be poor but it cost nothing to say please & thank you.Your lucky to hear it in todays world.As we have mentioned East Lane can any one remember the Kelly's who lived just off the lane in Eltham Street. KIWI

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Posted by jaksplace

The woman talking about the rats is my mum and the baby in the cot was me.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Posted by sevmek6

Absolutely brilliant! God I remember so many of the people in East Lane and the old jellied and blackcurrant stall. I even remember my dad talking to me about the blind man who could walk around without any help. The Marigold made me think of my old nan, Kate Oliver, and her sisters. It really make you laugh and cry to think how much as changed. People never had nothing but the one thing they did have was true neighbours and family - that's worthless.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Posted by tinyf

Many thanks for posting this video. I've only just joined this site and have posted something on the hop-picking forum. I'll repeat some of it here because the video contains my aunt Alice Durant singing a hop-picking song (large lady with glasses) and, I think, from memory of my time picking as a kid in the 50s and 60s at the Hop Farm, Beltring, that the three women with her may have been called Ham, Spam and Scram! I'd love a complete copy on DVD if anyone knows where to get one as I've only got 11 minutes worth on a video taken from the TV programme (don't tell 'em!).

My family name is Foulsham and my Nan's maiden name was Durant. The families were originally from Bermondsey but in later life moved to Fulham but still went hopping every year.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Posted by joe61

nice to see old times
i used to go to the neptune and the ship i went to the cock and monkey too
i lived in niagaga ct
nice memories thanks
joe 61

Return to “Videos”