A Selection of videos of Bermondsey
and the people that lived there
bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Tommy Steele and things

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 pm

A real treat for us Bermondsey Folk.
Filmed in 1969 BBC Omnibus
Tommy takes a walk around Bermondsey visiting the Bermondsey Baths, Joyce's Pie & Mash shop,
the Trocette Cinema and many other places.
Can you spot anyone you know?

A big thanks to Bermondseybeat for donating this Video

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: Tommy Steele and things

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Posted by bermondseywaller

Steve,
Thank you. Absolutely brilliant. Loved seeing old Mr Hoffman outside Joyces P & M, my family is still in contact with his son Derek, will have to forward clip to him. I'm sure I spotted the swing park in Leroy street, has fond and not so fond memories as I fractured my leg there in 1970 the lady in the hut stood me up on it (hurt a bit). Loved shots of railway bldgs & swan mead however brief, also caught a shot of little sweet shop tucked over back of r/way blgs opposite Grange sch. used to spend ages picking black jacks, fruit salads, flying saucers etc with my 10p pocket money.. My mum lived opposite Tommy & his family in Frean street and ran errands for his mum (although she left home before he hit the big time), she has a photo of him (back view) while they were filming this in webb st. Shed a few tears for old Bermondsey, helped heal shock of changes I saw a few weeks ago when I visited after long, long absence tho'.
Well done for finding this gem. Keep em coming please.
Dawn

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:50 pm

Posted by crosby34

A wonderful view of the part of Bermondsey I grew up in,. I've not seen a street level view of the railway buildings in 40 yeasrs, this for me was the highlight of the video.
I think the roof he is on, is the top of Brighton buildings facing Tower Bridge Rd (very Mary Poppins). I remember the little park in Leroy St - I nearly broke my ankle on that roundabout. Grange baths, the old cinema, Joyces, Fantastic stuff from a long vanished (and missed) time. thanks for uplaoding it. Keep up the great work.
Jeff

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:50 pm

Posted by Purpleronnie

I actually think it was Portsmouth Buildings roof, but could be wrong.

I used to live at No.14.

Ron .....Purpleronnie.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Posted by crosby34

Ron,

Looking at it again I think you could be right. The reason I thought it might be Brighton Buildings is the view of the old Guys bell tower (and a little bit of St Pauls). In fact it might even be Ryde buildings as the next scene seems to show the horses turning into Swan Mead from Webb St. In any case it was great to see the video of the buildings.

Jeff

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Posted by bermondseygal

Thank you so much for sharing these video clips.
I remember seeing this documentary years ago maybe back in the early 1970's? Or maybe it was on telly in 1969 the year it was made?
Loved hearing Tommy singing over the footage and his trip to Joyces for the pie n mash made me hungry!

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Posted by Purpleronnie

Hello Jeff,

I agree with you, it was great to see the buildings again after all this time.

I work just around the corner in Pages Walk (although i now live in Kent) and i still can't fathom out how all these buildings fitted in such a small place. ( A bit like Popeye's tent HaHa!!)

Cheers Mate.

Ron .......Purpleronnie

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Posted by crosby34

Ron,

I agree with you about fitting all those buildings in a such a small space.I live in Kent (well Orpington actually) and if you look at the footprint of the railway (or seaside?) buildings they would just about cover most decent size 1930s houses if you included their front and back gardens. I tell this to my kids when we go down to see my dad in Bermondsey and stop by for a visit to Manzies. They look at me as if I'm demented.
Mind you looking at some of the new flats being put up now we seem to be going backwards in terms of cramming people in.

Cheers
Jeff

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Posted by jimbo

Tommy came to Bacon School in Pages Walk - where he entertained us and explained what the video was about. The BBC filmed at the school where you can see a few of my old classmates the playground. Remember the excitement of it all, especially when it was first shown on tv.

We lived in Abbey Buildings when I was kid. No bathroom, so mum packed us off to the baths on Saturdays. Nice to see!
Jimbo

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:57 pm

tommysteele.jpg

Photo sent in by Bermondseybeat (No copywrite infringement intended)

Photo taken during a break in the filming of Tommy Steele and Things.
I remember climbing up and running along these very same shelters.
Do you know who the two young lads are strolling along the top of the shelter.
One more question? What was the occassion? Why were the Horse Guards there?

Bermondseyboy

Return to “Videos”