East Street Market 1971

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:38 pm

East Lane 1971

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: East Street Market 1971

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Posted by leni

Hi Bermondseyboy - I've just come across the youtube of East Lane 1971 - altho I left UK in 1970 for USA I drooled over my laptop seeing those women eating the jellied eals - I wanted some NOW! In my early years here - we craved english 'rashers' - unheard of here - so my(then) mother in law brought a sealed bacon pack from M&S in her handbag all the way from London - I dont think you could do that now!

The posts on families,areas and schools of Bermondsey mostly seem to be of the eastern end - I am more familiar withOld Kent Rd,Long Lane, Tower Bridge area. Most families were huge - my mothers (Phillips) had 10 - a few of them managed to get flats in the same block - they all lived close for years - and altho my mother and father moved us to southwark and then lambeth we still made weekend trips "up 'ome" (Strood House). We all met there in the fifties for parties and watching 'Quatermass' on the first TV in the family - all the kids would sit on the floor - adults behind - never too close to the TV - and always watching in the dark! 'Quatermass' scared the heck out of me so walking home in the dark afterwards I expected to see something plant like growing out of the top of every building - those were fun times and so innocent - I wouldnt trade it - but how can you explain the absolute terror/excitement of watching early tv in this world of hi tech? My Mothers Aunt (Moggs) lived at 23 Strood and she was famous for her pickled onions - made in the bathtub - the whole family would get a jar at xmas and any other time she was pickling - I dont think this talent was passed on - hers were the best. How I miss them! Does anyone out there remember 'quatermass" or making pickled onions at home?

Downtheblue

Re: East Street Market 1971

Postby Downtheblue » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Another cracking film.
Where is the Sasperella Man & the cockle stall. Have you noticed it must be 90% women , interesting. For me Sunday was go down the market day, get Sarsaparilla and then cockles with loads pepper & vinegar and of course lump of bread. Remember !!

Return to “Videos”