Jamaica Road/Union Road.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Jamaica Road/Union Road

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:02 am

Posted by George61

Hi Fosney,

Yes I remember (just) Jamaica Road as shown in your picture. About where the bus is on the righthand side was Grahams (gentlemans outfitters) and a hardware shop that sold everything including glass and putty. After that was a pub on the corner with the junction to Southwark Park Road. To the left of the picture at the junction with West Lane was a Grocers shop. Then there was an alley leading to a rag and bone yard.

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Posted by jimmica

hi fosney re jamaica rd i thought that was me on the bike then i saw the tram an knew it was before my time outside that first shop on the left my uncle was killed by being dragged under the wheels of a lorry by a loose tarpuline i dont remember the bomb site on the right at all.about midway along there was a toy shop named karets we pronounced it kreets i spent hours in there deciding which soldiers to buy when it was knocked down they moved opposite. on the corner of west lane was the post office opposite was the queen charlotte. up little cherry garden st was the jamaica tavern forever known a chicks after a landlord of the 1880s william chicken .there was an alley where the midwives worked from leading into tranton rd ,they were known as the queens nurses ? i dont know why .but they delivered me in my front room 62 years ago i've still got the card that sister peacock gave my proud parents . all the best jim

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Old Jamaica Road--Salmon Youth Centre

Founded in 1907 as a medical mission with a boys mission club. The chief instigator was the Rev H D Salmon.
Since 1922 it was known as the Cambridge University Mission and later became the Salmon Youth Centre it was demolished in 2004/5 and has been redeveloped into a modern youth complex
378655117611609aa60b745db0e865650fb5cfb9.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:18 am

Posted by jimmica

What way are we facing?
cf4cb6d5bf66deff16e942f9cec52753579fc545.jpg
Last edited by fosney on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:25 am

Union Road

jimmicas picture a classic of Union Road seems to have been taken long before any of us can remember and would seem to have been taken facing east in the direction of the tunnel with the old sorting office on the left out of sight and the entrance to the Methodist Church to the right
If we had been looking west we would have seen the tower of Christ Church on the right.
Anyone got any further suggetions?

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:28 am

Posted by jimmica

i agree the only clue is the old methodist church doorway just creeping into the picture we used to play in there as kids running right round the top of the walls including the pinnicle of the gable end .cos it had no roof i would'nt do it now but as kids we was fearless.as you may remember christ church was set back from the road so it may have been obscured by the houses .do you know if the methodist church was bombed in the war ? regards jim

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:33 am

jimmika

I cant say that I remember any further than Prospect Street ( now gone ) although I should as a friend of mine in my young days lived in Culling Road. I vaguely remember shops and houses but if the area was bombed I am unaware but something happened because the park now dominates that part of Jamaica Road formerly Union Road and down to the park is as I always remember it in the period after the war. Perhaps someone else can comment on this area?
There appears to be a plaque on the front of Millstream House does anyone know what its about

Joe

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Jamaica Road

Picture looking across Jamaica Road towards St James Road. Changes have already taken place with the road widening but in this picture the Midland Bank on the corner of St James Road still remians. In the today picture not only has the Bank gone but the corner building has been reconstructed
239b1646e72b7848bedaaaea31d380ffa5073eb7.jpg
458d3a242580b34ed0f7ea30707ac1d34dd83f15.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Posted by deegs

Joe,
The roundabout going also makes the road seem bigger. I'd love to see a photo of this spot before Jamaica Road was re-routed and the Old Jamaica Road section (off to the right in front of the Greg) became a backwater.

The biggest recent transformation on this section of Jamaica Road has come about from the London Plane Trees - its hard to believe they were only planted in the 1980's.

It's a shame they were allowed to build that new block on St. James Road (behind the Greg). There was a nice grassy area there before, but you can no longer see the church and it's made the street dark and gloomy. Whoever designed that ugly green box on top also wants shooting.

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Posted by Roymal

Fosney,

Your picture above shows the old St. James church, that somehow survived the bombing and the adjacent pub. But right opposite the church was St. James school that I went to, until Sept 1939 when the whole school was evacuated.
Presumably the school was bombed, I wonder if anyone has a picture of the school and or class pictures of that time frame?

Thanks. Roy Wilcox

roymal

Return to “Buildings & Streets”