UPPER GROUND PLACE

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

UPPER GROUND PLACE

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:23 am

Upper Ground Place Southwark 1923, Children in an alleyway seen prior to slum clearance. This was off Stamford Street, near too and opposite Hatfield Street and Brunswick Street In the 1900s, roughly where Coin Street is to-day.
Upper Ground Place Southwark 1923, this was off Stamford Street.jpg
Upper Ground Place,circled, Stamford St below,Upper Ground St above..jpg
Upper Ground Place,circled, Stamford St below,Upper Ground St above.

kiwi

Re: UPPER GROUND PLACE

Postby kiwi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:53 am

Re-above topic.
Re- a message from Chaz a new member to me regarding Upper Ground Place.
First welcome to the site Chaz, nice to get a feedback, even if a posting is not quite right.
So, let me explain the reason I stated that Upper Ground Place was off Stamford Street, OFF, not that it ran into Stamford Street, I agree with your opinion “that location is not quite correct” but when a place such as Boddy’s Bridge is no longer there, for location purposes to members the nearest main road or street, such as Stamford Street guides them to the approximate area, this helps them to locate hopefully what they are looking for, plus we have to remember that a lot of people may not have the facilities or means to find other maps. As you say, “your highlighted map helped me understand exactly where it was located so I was able to find it on other maps”, great it might not have been quite right, but it worked, that is all I try to do.

Coin Street, I describe it as being approximately where Coin Street is today, as you say this is not correct, it is nowhere near approximately, :? sorry about that, your description below is way better.

Coin Street is about 250m to the southwest. I think a more accurate description would be "between Stamford Street to the south and Upper Ground to the north and between Hatfields to the west and Rennie Street to the East".

Cheers Chaz for the information and taking the time to post it, I will try to do better? :)

kiwi

Re: UPPER GROUND PLACE

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:07 pm

Upper Ground Place c1923.   X.png
Upper Ground Place c1923.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”