kiwi

Re: HORNSHAY STREET

Postby kiwi » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:11 am

Hornshay Street.  X.jpg
Remember him well, great rider.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:13 am

Hornshay Street, Off Old Kent Road, number 53 bus jammed under rail bridge after taking the wrong turning. Ilderton Road in background with Tustin Estate being constructed,1968. Who remembers the cafe :?:
Hornshay Street,Ilderton Road 1968.  X.jpg
Hornshay Street, Off Old Kent Road, number 53 bus jammed under rail bridge after taking the wrong turning. Ilderton Road in background with Tustin Estate being constructed,1968.   X..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:18 am

I was lucky enough to see all these riders, great memories. :)
Hornshay Street, left to right, Jimmy Gooch, Eric Williams, Leo McAuliffe, Reg Luckhurst, Split Waterman on bike, Barry Briggs, Tom Sweetman, Bobby Croombs, Johnnie Hoskins(promoter). 1 X..png
left to right, Jimmy Gooch, Eric Williams, Leo McAuliffe, Reg Luckhurst, Split Waterman on bike, Barry Briggs, Tom Sweetman, Bobby Croombs, Johnnie Hoskins(promoter).

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:50 am

kiwi wrote:I was lucky enough to see all these riders, great memories. :)
Hornshay Street, left to right, Jimmy Gooch, Eric Williams, Leo McAuliffe, Reg Luckhurst, Split Waterman on bike, Barry Briggs, Tom Sweetman, Bobby Croombs, Johnnie Hoskins(promoter). 1 X..png

Not wanting to wish my life away, but I wish I was around when they were hosting speedway at the NCS!
As a youngster, about 4 years old, I do remember the stock car / banger racing and being petrified with all the cars smashing into each other!
Now, I think I've asked the question before, and I don't know if it was just the result of a bad dream, but I seem to remember a guy in a clown's outfit, running around the arena whilst all the carnage was going on... does anyone remember if that was the case?

-B...
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:21 pm

Hi Brian, I can’t help you with the clown, but believe it or not there was only about 7 meets at New Cross, 4 or 5 in 1954 before they moved to Harringay as the New Cross track was too small. I think they returned to New Cross in the 60s when Harringay was being improved for a couple of meets.
This doesn’t help with the Stock Car Racing, but Split Waterman was known as the Clown Prince, perhaps he was there on a night off from the Bikes. ;)
Hornshay Street 1954.  X..png
Hornshay Street, New Cross Stadium.  X..png

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:49 am

kiwi wrote:Hi Brian, I can’t help you with the clown, but believe it or not there was only about 7 meets at New Cross, 4 or 5 in 1954 before they moved to Harringay as the New Cross track was too small. I think they returned to New Cross in the 60s when Harringay was being improved for a couple of meets.
This doesn’t help with the Stock Car Racing, but Split Waterman was known as the Clown Prince, perhaps he was there on a night off from the Bikes. ;)
Hornshay Street 1954. X..pngHornshay Street, New Cross Stadium. X..png

Hi Ray,

Hope you're keeping well...
Yes, my visits, as a very young boy would have been around 1968/69, so presumably not long before the stadium closed for good!
A concrete section of a stand remained long after the stadium was demolished and became Bridgehouse Meadows.

-B...
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:41 pm

I knew Ray from the time he owned the car sales place in Albany Road, beside the Thomas-A-Beckett Pub. A friend of mine, (Brian Grimwood) we both lived in Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk, and I am still in touch with him, worked at the car mart. Ray even took us to see his racing car, garaged somewhere over the East side of the river (Thames) one day. So sad the day he died crashing at Oulton Park Racetrack (21 Mar.1964). Ray was a nice bloke who I had seen many times racing at New Cross Speedway. R.I.P RAY.
Hornshay Street, Ray Moore, New Cross Speedway, I knew Ray.  X..png
Ray Moore, New Cross Speedway.
Hornshay Street.  X.png

Return to “Buildings & Streets”