Shad Thames

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Shad Thames

Postby fosney » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Who remembers going down Shad Thames as a kid, the whole area was a hive of industry and the smell of spices that would drift from the warehouses was wonderful. No Health and Safety in those days and as a kid you could explore the whole area right down to the river side to the waters edge.

Today if you enter Shad Thames from St Saviours Dock end you can still smell the aroma of the spices from all those years ago. Memories ......

fosney

Re: Shad Thames (Yesterday & Today)

Postby fosney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Shad Thames and Butlers Wharf- anyone who knows Bermondsey will know this area. At one time one of the largest warehouse complexes on the Thames, a hive of industry till 1972 when all this came to an end with its closure.
Today much of the structure remains including the distintive iron bridges across the road that once carried goods from warehouse to warehouse. The buildings have been turned into apartments for those who can afford them and the lower warehouse floors into restaurants - a gastronomic delight for those that wish to participate.
But I ask, do any those who frequent the area have any idea of the history and what went on her
Butlers Wharf.jpg
Butlers Wharf Shad Thames in its working Day
Butlers Wharf 2.jpg
Butlers Wharf Shad Thames after closure
Butlers Wharf today.jpg
Butlers Wharf Shad Thames Today

fosney

Re: Shad Thames

Postby fosney » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:02 am

Posted by Lonny

Picture of the old workplace, I have been up in the tower after the war as it was where my dad was a fire spotter and later worked as a " copperman " helping to brew beer. After the beer was taken out of the copper the left over mash ( wort ) went out of chutes into barges and was used as fertilzer.
Old brewhose.jpg
Old Brewhouse Shad Thames
Last edited by fosney on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:53 am

lonny
All changed since those days the the piers have taken the place of the ships place is full of restaurants and coffee bars great for those with deep pockets. Most of all I remember it as a working area and as a kid going down the steps at Maggie Blakes Cause and going into the river to swim.
Thinking about it now a most stupid thing to do but we survived and are here to tell the tale
Shad Thames Beach.jpg
Shad Thames Beach Maggie Blakes Cause

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 am

Who remembers going down Shad Thames as a kid, the whole area was a hive of industry and the smell of spices that would drift from the warehouses was wonderful. No Health and Safety in those days and as a kid you could explore the whole area right down to the river side to the waters edge.
Today if you enter Shad Thames from St Saviours Dock end you can still smell the aroma of the spices from all those years ago. Memories ..........

-fosney

Posted by joe61

i used to walk all around there when i was akid in the 60s/70s i used to live on canada estate
in renforth street
i went all the way down to tower bridge on my own walking the back streets
i loved it ive got great memoriesmy mum used to work in foscars chip shop in albion street and my first job was at the buchers in albion street the one near to the end of renforth street
i rembember going to the library there and nicking books........................i read all of em..................
great times
joe 61

bermondsey is still a part of me

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:42 am

2 9:43 AM

Thanks for you memories joe 61, when ever I get the chance I love to walk through Shad Thames and at the Dockhead end to this day you still get the aroma from the spices something not to be missed

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:44 am

Hi Joe61,

Great memories of Shad Thames and surrounding areas as you say all the different aromas the hustle and bustle, people shouting to each other the laughter, yes and the swearing. Strange how even today you get a whiff of something, spices, hops, fish and yes even horses and you get a flash back to them places so long ago. Then being told off for playing down by River Thames, because we never saw any of the dangers, smashing times, wonderful memories. Yes it was a different world and sometimes you think did that really happen was that really my life and of course it was exactly that, our lives our great memories.

Cheers Kiwi.

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:47 am

Posted by jimspimpson1

Hi Kiwi,
When we were kids we would build a cart and push it from down town (or round town as we knew it) all the way to tower bridge and only having to come inland so to speak at dockhead creek. Your right about the different smells of spices it was wonderful.I have just retired but when i worked in London you could still smell the aroma of spices, great memories.
Jim

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:24 pm

jimmika

regarding the smell of spices down shad thames we used to take loads of it home when the sacks split but the greatest prize was when a sugar sack split an you took about 5pounds of sugarhome then you was mummys little darling an the smell i remember down spa road anywhere near the sally army was sweaty feet

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 am

Posted bt Lefora Guest

used to work in shad thames from 1963 - 1967 for butlers wharf

Return to “Buildings & Streets”