Parkers Row

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Parkers Row

Postby fosney » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Parkers Row (Yesterday & Today)

Picture of Parkers Row time being late forties early fifties the buses and trams still frequent the area and the old buildings are still standing on the left and new building are being constructed on the right but by the look of it even these have now gone.
The public house in the distance is The Swan and Sugarloaf now closed and as we can see it was a Watneys House

With further reconstruction in the area with the new duel carrigeway to improve the flow of traffic this part of Dockhead became high and dry

The old pub now closed can be seen in the distance on the corner
parkers row.jpg
Parkers Row2.jpg Today.jpg
Parkers Row today without tramlines

RODGEPODGE

Re: Parkers Row

Postby RODGEPODGE » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:38 pm

That black and white photo brought back some memories. The new building on the right is Wade House. It is still there but has had a makeover.
A schoolfriend's father had the chemist shop, which you can see sticking out at the far end of Wade House. Wade House was the first block of flats that I can remember that had a lift.

The coloured photo is taken further along Parkers Row and the new buildings you can see on the righthand side are where some old shops stood, including a greengrocers, "Berrys" the butchers, and a barbers shop.

I lived in the first block of Arnolds Estate behind the old buildings on the left of the b&w photo.

When the tram lines were dug up the blocks that made up the roadway were disgarded on the bomb site. They were "tar blocks", and our mothers sent us to collected them as fuel for the fire!!

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:27 am

Posted by jimmika

re parkers row those flats are still there the orginal pic with the tram is taken from what is now the middle of the duel carriageway but with old cameras its forshortend the hairdressers seen in the google earthpic used to be a chemist

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:29 am

jimmika

Thanks for that information you are correct I have had a look on google and if you look from the middle of the duel carriageway the flats can be seen Thanks again

And thanks to everyone who has had an input of information regarding both the old and new pictures and submitting pictures, without you all the topic would die

Thanks Joe Foster

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:01 am

Parkers Row. AbbeyStreet Jamaica Road Junction 1950s
Picture from" Trams in Bermondsey " courtesy lewisham_bill
All change since those days. But what was the name of the pub on the corner
Again since the today picture was taken the area has again changed
Attachments
c83330bf82f1083b407e6daf74a7f7c143cb1af4(1).jpg
3d45b88dcb8077c7d9e6d744f0a718ec2184cb26.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:08 am

Posted by freddie

Parkers Row. Abbey Street Jamaica Road Junction 1950s
Picture from" Trams in Bermondsey " coutesy lewisham_bill
All change since those days. But what was the name of the pub on the corner?
-fosney

Could either be the "Bricklayers Arms", 40 Parkers Row or the "Prince Teck", 24 Parkers Row.

The Prince Teck was still trading in 1952, Mr & Mrs E Shurer the publicans according to the Black Eagle Journal

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:11 am

Posted by freddie

Could either be the "Bricklayers Arms", 40 Parkers Row or the "Prince Teck", 24 Parkers Row.
The Prince Teck was still trading in 1952, Mr & Mrs E Shurer the publicans according to the Black Eagle Journal

-freddie

By the process of elimination it's the "Prince Teck". The other pub located in Parkers Row (pre-war) was on the corner of "Bricklayers Arms Passage"!

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 am

freddie

Thanks for that, as a yougster I used to frequent this area a lot and I still cant remember a pub being on that corner ,but so be it. But what has happened to the Cambridge University Boys Club that was on the corner of Marine St which I used to go to as a youth has it disapeared for ever under the redevolpment can anyone put any light on this one?

paperboy

Postby paperboy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 am

This extract from GoogleEarth has been taken from underneath the railway arch at the northern end of Rouel Road. The arrow at point A indicates just about where the entrance to the Cambridge University Mission used to be. The letter B on the white van locates a newspaper shop which was there in the mid 1960s and earlier, but whose name I can no longer recall. Anybody got any ideas?
92460337c2adc102fb25242cbd8440c5a0321758.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:46 am

Posted by

bermondseyboysrus

Hi paperboy,

Re the paper shop off Jamaica Rd. I wished I could remember the name of the shop, especially as I was the paper boy for a couple of years. 1963/64 I used to deliver around Dockley Rd, Lucey Rd, Yalding Rd and Cadbury Rd. I remember early one morning being chased by a dog that had taken a fancy to one of my legs, randy bugger, I had to ride back to the shop for the owner to get him off me. The joys of being a paper boy.

Tom

Return to “Buildings & Streets”