GARDEN ROW/CLARENCE PLACE

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

GARDEN ROW/CLARENCE PLACE

Postby kiwi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:38 am

The only Garden Row I could find is between St Georges Road & London Road, Elephant.
Clarence Place at Garden Row, Southwark, 1905.jpg
Clarence Place at Garden Row, Southwark, 1905

kiwi

Re: GARDEN ROW/CLARENCE PLACE

Postby kiwi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Garden Row 1969 between St Georges Road & Gladstone Street, Elephant & Castle..jpg
Garden Row 1969, Michael Caine going for a walk. Gladstone Street left, London Road behind.

Garden Row. Same location 2018, Gladstone St now a dead end road..jpg
Garden Row. Same location 2018, Gladstone St now a dead end road.
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:32 pm

kiwi wrote:
Clarence Place at Garden Row, Southwark, 1905
This photo is of Clarence Street, Finsbury, looking south from Lever Street. Garden Row is the row of houses beyond the fence.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Cheers Fogbrain,
Once again, the picture states Clarence Place at Garden Row, Southwark, 1905. Inferring that Garden Row is the bigger of the two, no mention of Clarence Street or Lever Street, Finsbury. As you and I know what it says on a picture is not always right but if it says Southwark that’s where I look.
I haven’t found a Clarence Place at Garden Row Southwark, so you are probably right, meaning Clarence Place would be over and beyond the fence and Garden Row in your picture.
If a post is not quite right, whether it be me or anyone else we need to put it right for future reference to other people who will look at the site long after we are no longer around.
Once again Fogbrain thanks for taking the time to check the posts, even though at this moment in time most of them are mine it is still appreciated. Kiwi.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks, Kiwi, that's exactly right - Clarence Place is out of site behind the ironically named Garden Row. The building in the background is Central Street School.
Collage has apparently removed 'Southwark' from the caption, so are apparently aware that it wasn't right, but maybe haven't worked out where it is. (I've sent them details now).

There are quite a few errors on the Collage captions - mainly they seem to have been swapped around between the photos somehow.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”