BOLINA ROAD/ZAMPA ROAD/MILLWALL.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

BOLINA ROAD/ZAMPA ROAD/MILLWALL.

Postby kiwi » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:02 am

What a difference!
Bolina Road reopened to the public following a major transformation by the Network Rail team working on the Bermondsey Dive Under, (2017) Recently, the final tracks have been laid through the Dive Under ahead of two new lines coming into use for South Eastern services over the August bank holiday. Similar to a motorway flyover or underpass, the new railway junction will allow South Eastern trains travelling to and from Kent to ‘dive under’ the Sussex lines used by Southern and Thameslink trains, relieving the bottleneck of trains and improving the travel experience for millions of passengers travelling to and through the landmark new station.
BOLINA ROAD.jpg
BOLINA ROAD.
Bolina Road off Ilderton Road..jpg
Bolina Road off Ilderton Road
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Re: BOLINA ROAD

Postby kiwi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Millwall training ground,Bolina Road..jpg
Millwall training ground Bolina Road. 2016.
MILLWALL 1.jpg
MILLWALL.

When the club, known as Millwall Rovers, was formed in 1885 they played at Glengall Road.

kiwi

Re: BOLINA ROAD/ZAMPA ROAD/MILLWALL.

Postby kiwi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:29 am

In 1979 the landscape of south-east London was changing fast as old industrial premises were being demolished to make way for new development. In this picture the old South Metropolitan gas works can be seen in the right background, while the building being demolished will make way for a new football ground for Millwall FC to replace their old ground at Cold Blow Lane, not far away.
The Den, Zampa Road,Bermondsey (previously called The New Den) is the football stadium and the home of Millwall Football Club. It is situated in South Bermondsey, South East London, almost directly adjacent to the railway line between London Bridge and New Cross Gate, and the SELCHP incinerator. It is under a quarter of a mile away from the original Den. Built on a previous site of housing, a church and the Senegal Fields playing fields, it has an all-seated capacity of 20,146.

Zampa Road, Bermondsey,1979.The site of the new Millwall Football Stadium.  X.jpg
The site of the new Millwall Football Stadium. 1979.
Zampa Road, Bermondsey The Den (previously called The New Den) 2017 X.jpg
The Den (previously called The New Den) 2017.
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:20 am

Every vantage point was used for the Cup tie v Newcastle at the Den. The Newcastle game drew a record crowd of 45,646 to the Den to witness a tremendous battle, with Millwall well worth their 2-1 win over a club which had won the trophy three times in the previous six years, but the run came to an end when Birmingham won 4-1 at The Den, 1956/57.
Millwall 1956-57 Cup tie v Newcastle at the Den. a record crowd of 45,646. I was there  X.gif
Millwall 1956-57 Cup tie v Newcastle at the Den. a record crowd of 45,646.
Millwall, all that is left of the old home!!!!.jpg
Millwall, all that is left of the old home!!!!

I was at both matches, something you never forget. Stories you don’t hear about these matches is that Millwall played Stan Anslow, a hard-tackling defender at centre-forward and he played his heart out, Newcastle just couldn’t handle him, I’m not sure whether he scored a goal or not, but I can still remember the effort he put in. This was one reason why Millwall lost to Birmingham. They had a Centre-half, I think his name was Tommy Smith and he kick Stan off the pitch, who if I remember rightly went off injured. I don’t think Stan ever really recovered from that injury. A few years later I did play against Stan in the London Cup or Kent Cup, not sure which, when he was playing for Radfield Rangers, good memories.
Millwall take on Newcastle at The Den, 1957.  X.png
NEARLY 60YRS ON AND I CAN STILL REMEBERER IT

Millwall fans flout 'elf & safety regulations to watch their side take on Newcastle at The Den, 1957. :D

Stan Anslow shot to Lions fame during the club's historic FA Cup victory over Newcastle United in 1957, scoring twice, after being converted from full-back. Stan played 131 times for The Lions over seven seasons after signing in 1951 and scored 13 goals. Sadly Stan passed away in 2017 aged 86. Thanks for the memories Stan. R.I.P.
Millwall Football Club, Stan Anslow 1950s. Sadly Stan passed away in 2017 aged 86.  X.png
Stan & Gil Merrick Birmingham City goalkeeper 1957.
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:48 am

THE OLD DEN MILLWALL FC THE 1980s. On the bridge West Ham Turn Back..jpg
THE OLD DEN MILLWALL FC THE 1980s. On the bridge West Ham Turn Back.
:(
Millwall, The Old Den. So many memories of that ground.  X..png
Millwall, The Old Den. So many memories of that ground.
:)
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 am

COLD BLOW LANE. I can remember my brother lifting me over the turnstile, so he never had to pay for me. To the right was the big gates into the ground and when I was older we got to know the groundsman, so we would bang on the gate and when it was clear he would let us in without paying we just bought him a pint later. ;)
MILLWALL OLD GROUND,COLD BLOW LANE.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:45 am

MILLWALL  2   X.jpg
MILLWALL  1   X.jpg

Many memories of the Den, :) when players were men and not Olympic divers. :(

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Millwall, The Old Den 1970. Entrance From New Cross   X.png
Millwall, The Old Den 1970. Entrance From New Cross.
Millwall, The Den, so many memories. c1990.  X.png
Millwall, The Den, so many memories. c1990.

My lovely niece Julie Hamilton the most fanatical Millwall fan you will ever meet, Bermondsey born now living in Guernsey.
Julie Hamilton..jpg
Miss you, xxx.
Cake  2010. Rays niece..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:41 am

Another Bermondsey Boy done well. Trevor had several clubs, one being Millwall (1982-83). After leaving football he became a Black Cab Taxi driver.
By a strange coincidence, Julie in post above, her mum Joyce, my lovely sister-in-law lived in Wilson Grove, R I P Joyce. :(
Trevor Aylott of Wilson Grove, Jamaica Road, Bermondsey who makes his debut for Chelsea 1977.  X.png
Trevor Aylott of Wilson Grove, Jamaica Road, Bermondsey who makes his debut for Chelsea 1977.
Trevor Aylott 1982-83, playing for Millwall.   X..png
Trevor Aylott 1982-83, playing for Millwall. >>>>>>>>>>

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:01 pm

kiwi wrote:What a difference!
Bolina Road reopened to the public following a major transformation by the Network Rail team working on the Bermondsey Dive Under, (2017) Recently, the final tracks have been laid through the Dive Under ahead of two new lines coming into use for South Eastern services over the August bank holiday. Similar to a motorway flyover or underpass, the new railway junction will allow South Eastern trains travelling to and from Kent to ‘dive under’ the Sussex lines used by Southern and Thameslink trains, relieving the bottleneck of trains and improving the travel experience for millions of passengers travelling to and through the landmark new station.
BOLINA ROAD.jpgBolina Road off Ilderton Road..jpg

When I was a young kid, my old Dad used to tell me that the holes in the side of the low bridge in the second photo were caused by shrapnel from bombs dropped during WWII... I was never sure about that, but I did find out years later that a number of houses in that far corner of Bolina Road by the railway arches were destroyed during a bombing raid!
So, I guess he could have been right?
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

Return to “Buildings & Streets”