ROLLS ROAD/ROWCROSS STREET.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

ROLLS ROAD/ROWCROSS STREET.

Postby kiwi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:08 am

Rowcross Street formerly Charlotte Street, c1900.
Had many a good drink in here.My sister lived in the buildings behind the pub in Rowcross Street. Does anyone know if these are the same flats?,they look the same. Combined together as there is not a lot else in Rowcross Street,hope that's OK?
CORNER OF ROWCROSS ST. OLD KENT ROAD.jpg
CORNER OF ROWCROSS ST. OLD KENT ROAD
ASHLEY HOUSE,ROWCROSS ST.jpg
ASHLEY HOUSE,ROWCROSS ST

My sister and family also lived at 302 Rolls Road in the 1940s and 1950s. Kathy (Hamilton) her husband George Hazel sons Patsy,Tony & kevin. They lived in the bottom flat 2 bedrooms, a small front room,kitchin and an outside toilet,shared by both families. The family in the upstairs flat were Harry & Emmy Parnell, children Michael & Allan and twins Tony & Terry. The next door niegthbours name was Stocking. Next door was a garage which lead into Bussey Bros cork manufacturers factory which ran along the back of the houses, also the window cleaner kept is gear there. Coming from St James Road pass Catlin Street on the left the House was on the right hand side about halfway down,this was when Rolls Road ran all the way to Rotherhithe New Road.
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Re: ROLLS ROAD/ROWCROSS STREET.

Postby kiwi » Thu May 31, 2018 4:10 am

My sister lived in Rowcross Street and my Brother-in Law rented one of the garages, so I would wash my cars there.
Ford Zephyr Zodiac 1963-64,in Rolls Road..jpg
Ford Zephyr Zodiac 1963-64,in Rolls Road. Mawbey Road School.
Austin A55,Photo taken in Rolls Road,Bermondsey..jpg
Austin A55,Photo taken in Rolls Road,Bermondsey 1965.

Rolls Road, Avocet Close, (left) Cars parked roughly where the flats are..jpg
Rolls Road, Avocet Close, (left) Cars parked roughly where the flats are.Mawbey Road School where Avocet Close is.
Rolls Road, 2017, this is roughly opposite where my cars were parked in 1964-65 photo..jpg
Rolls Road, 2017, this is roughly opposite where my cars were parked in 1964-65 photo.

Rolls Road, opposite Rowcross street.jpg
Rolls Road, opposite Rowcross Street, The southern wall, and maybe a bricked-up entrance, of the old Bricklayers Arms Goods Depot.

There was an entrance here in c1900 when Rowcross Street was called Charlotte Street. It was defiantly bricked-up in the late 1950s, only we would drink in the Gloucester Pub and park outside when working on the railway, so, being bricked-up the lorry couldn’t be seen from the railway. ;)

My sister and family also lived at 302 Rolls Road in the 1940s and 50s. Kathy (Hamilton) her husband George Hazel sons Patsy,Tony & kevin. They lived in the bottom flat 2 bedrooms, a small front room,kitchin and an outside toilet,shared by both families. The family in the upstairs flat were Harry & Emmy Parnell, children Michael & Allan and twins Tony & Terry. The next door neighbours name was Stocking. Next door was a garage which lead into Bussey Bros cork manufacturers factory which ran along the back of the houses, also the window cleaner kept is gear in there. Coming from St James Road pass Catlin Street which was on the left, my sisters house was on the right hand side about halfway down,this was when Rolls Road ran all the way to Rotherhithe New Road.
Sister Kath(Hamilton) & George Hazell,possible thier wedding day..jpeg
Sister Kath(Hamilton) & George Hazell,possible their wedding day.Sadly both no longer with us.
:(

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Rolls Road 1910.  X (2).png
Rolls Road 1910.

Just a little bit of added information regarding the Lovelock family living in Rolls Road before 1910.
Bermondsey, London, England 1891 Census Returns
238 Rolls Rd

Name Relation Age Occupation Birthplace
Charles Lovelock, Head 43 Foreman Man, Clerkenwell, Middx
Elizabeth Lovelock, Wife 41 (?) City Middx
Elizabeth Lovelock, Daur 19 Seamstress Shirt, Battersea, Middx (sic)
Charles Lovelock, Son 17 Clicker B, Battersea, Middx (sic)
Emily Lovelock, Daur 15 Seamstress Shirt, Battersea, Middx (sic).
William Lovelock, Son 10 Battersea, Middx (sic)
Arthur Lovelock, Son 8 Battersea, Middx (sic)
Ada Lovelock, Daur 7 Walworth, Surrey
Harold Lovelock, Son 6 Bermondsey, Surrey
Isabella Lovelock, Daur 3 Bermondsey, Surrey

Emily Gore Sister in law 38 (?) Domestic Wesminster Middx

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:02 am

ROLLS ROAD c1929.  X (2).png
ROLLS ROAD c1929.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 am

Rolls Road 1980’s.   X.png
Rolls Road 1980’s. This is the first picture I have seen with all the houses gone on the left. Rowcross Street left.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:20 pm

No name with picture so it may not be Rolls Road :?: but for information’s sake this is the same layout as when my sister Kathy lived at 302 Rolls Road, 1940-50s. I bet a few of us remember the tin bath and hoped that you were not the last in. :)
Rolls Road. This is the same layout as when sister Kathy lived there 1940-50s.  X..png

Return to “Buildings & Streets”