FISHER CLUB.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

FISHER CLUB.

Postby kiwi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:26 am

Fisher Club..png
badge.jpg

I have posted under one banner, simply because that is how they began in 1908.
Some know it as The Fisher Club, others The Downside Fisher Club & possibly the Dockhead Club?, so hope this is OK?
The Fisher FC’s origins lie in Fisher Catholic Club for Boys, founded in 1908
The first location of the club was an old engineering shop in Rose Court and was entirely staffed by volunteers, the ground floor was used for athletics. The main activities were football and boxing.
The under-18 Club members moved to premises in Bevington Street (half a mile east of the present premises) and renamed the Downside Club. The name of the club as changed a number of times due to the branching out by certain fractions (too many to mention). The Downside club once again moved to Marine Street due to the growing increase in numbers. Other places mentioned are Landrail Place, Dockhead, Riley Road & Southwark Park.
FISHER FOOTBALL CLUB.
One of the first football matches against Mauzi’s (Manze) shows when the lads won 29-0. Mauzi’s were the far-famed eel merchants and meat pie manufacturers of Tower Bridge Road and Blue Anchor Lane…1981-82.
The club was founded in 1908 by Michael Culiton, headmaster at Dockland School.
Like above I can only touch on a bit of the history due to the length of time the clubs have been going. Over the years the club as folded & reformed, at one time playing in Mitcham (1966-67) Season. In 1982, they moved to their present home, the purpose-built stadium at Surrey Docks.
1984–85 saw Fisher reach the first round of the FA Cup, losing 1–0 to Bristol City. In the 1987-88 season, they again reached the first round of the FA Cup this time losing to Bristol Rovers 1-0. In 2009 the club found itself in all kinds of trouble and decide to continue to play their home games at Champion Hill Stadium, Dulwich Hamlets ground and would be playing in the Kent League.
In the meantime, Surrey Docks Stadium was redeveloped. In 2016-17 season, they moved back to Surrey Docks Stadium. Having spent 12 years in exile Fisher FC is now back in their spiritual home of Rotherhithe, bringing football back to the community, not far from the old Surrey Docks Stadium at St Paul's Sports Ground, Salter Rd, Rotherhithe.
Fisher FC, Salter Road, Rotherhithe..jpg
Fisher FC, Salter Road, Rotherhithe 2016/17.

kiwi

Re: FISHER CLUB.

Postby kiwi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:18 am

Fisher Club, Dockhead cage.png
Photo In Fisher Club history,could this be the Cage in Dockhead??

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:24 am

FISHER AMATEUR BOXING CLUB.
From the early 1900s the Fisher boxing club have had many boxing champions (World, British & Local) making the Fisher Boxing Clubs reputation well known worldwide. In the early 1920s the Old Gregorians (OGs: ex-Downside pupils) help to buy premises in Fair Street. The Fisher Amateur Boxing Club is now in Riley Road
1913 Sid Smith becomes world flyweight champion
1960 The club saw members go to the 1960 Olympics in Rome. John Ould, Philip Lundgren and James Lloyd all boxed for their country, and Lloyd also won a bronze medal.
1961 Terry Downes wins the World Middleweight Boxing Championship.
1968 Club member Michael Carter boxed in the Mexico Olympics.
1986 Lloyd Honeyghan becomes World Welterweight Boxing Champion.
This is just a few of the achievements by the Fisher Boxing Club.
Downside teams & boys won many medals for a number of sports during the 1970s. In 1979, they enclosed the roof play area. Could this be Dockhead House? Dockhead Topic.
Fisher Club..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:54 am

Two of the Fisher Club boxers where twins David & Johnny Ould, Bermondsey born in 1940. I knew the twins from around the area, not as friends but they would always acknowledge you and say hello. They were very alike apart from one was a little bit taller than the other, never did work out who was who. I saw then fight many times at Bermondsey Baths, Manor Place Baths and Shoreditch Town Hall they were good gutsy fighters and they never gave up, great memories
David was a Heavyweight and Johnny a Light Heavyweight. David won the Southern Area Heavyweight Title in 1964.
Johnny fought for the Southern Area Light Heavyweight Title in 1966, the contest being a draw (Picture). Johnny was the 1959 and 1960 ABA Light heavyweight champion, he also fought as a Cruiserweight. He also represented Great Britain in the Olympic Games in 1966. Sadly, Johnny passed away in 2014 aged 74.
I remember their Mum who worked or owned the Eel Stall, I think in the Blue?
BOXING 2.jpg
Johnny Ould v Bob Nicolson (Champion) 1966

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:02 am

Fisher Amatuer Boxing Club.jpg
Fisher Amateur Boxing Club, Con Sullivan(circled) 1976, spent nearly 80years helping at the club. Con died in 2016
age 84, Con deserves all the accolades and respect from many people for his many years of commitment to the Fisher Club.

micky2horses

Downside/Fisher Boys Club

Postby micky2horses » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Presentation2.jpg

Anybody else remember The Cage. Spent a lot of my childhood playing football up there. Actually remember hearing about Kennedy being shot whilst up there in 63 when this picture was taken. I think we stopped playing for all of 30 seconds

Return to “Buildings & Streets”