HARPER ROAD

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

HARPER ROAD

Postby kiwi » Mon May 22, 2017 5:38 am

Harper Road runs between New Kent Road & Newington Causeway. I think that is Falmouth Road on the street sign? In 1906, it was split in half Union Road (Borough End) & Harper Road (New Kent Road End) sometime before that it was called Horsemonger Lane.
HARPER ROAD BOROUGH 1977..jpg
HARPER ROAD BOROUGH 1977
HORSEMONGER LANE.jpg
HORSEMONGER LANE. Blackman St now Borough High St. Newington Road now Newington Causeway 2017.

The County Jail (Horsemonger Lane Gaol) seen in an 1843 map of London. Nearby is the Queen’s Bench Prison (also known as the Kings Bench).
This was the county gaol for Surrey, located near St George's Fields outside Southwark. Built in 1792-99, it was a model prison, with 177 cells in three wings for petty criminals, and a fourth wing for debtors. A control keeper's house oversaw eight separate courtyards, allowing the prisoners to be both separated by sex and offence (felons, petty criminals, debtors) and constantly watched. Two surgeons attended. 1859, the gaol was no longer known as 'Horsemonger Lane' following the road's change of name to Union Road (today: Harper Road), being renamed Surrey County Gaol or the New Jail.
The King's Bench Prison was a prison in Southwark, south London, England, from medieval times until it closed in 1880. It took its name from the King's Bench court of law in which cases of defamation, bankruptcy and other misdemeanours were heard; as such, the prison was often used as a debtor's prison until the practice was abolished in the 1860s. In 1842, it was renamed the Queen's Prison, and later became the Southwark Convict Prison.
Kings Bench Prison Borough..jpg
Kings Bench Prison Borough.
HORSEMONGER JAIL.jpg
HORSEMONGER JAIL.

kiwi
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: HARPER ROAD

Postby kiwi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:25 am

Horsemonger Lane Goal built in the 1790s was the largest prison in Surrey. It held debtors, petty and hardened criminals. The gallows were on the roof of the gatehouse and it was here that executions took place until the prison closed in 1878.
HORSEMONGER LANE JAIL now called Harper Road,Southwark.opened 1790s closed in1887.jpg


Return to “Buildings & Streets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest