SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:55 am

The Evelina Hospital was founded 1869 by the wealthy Austrian Baron, Ferdinand de Rothschild, in memory of his English wife, Evelina who had died in childbirth three years earlier.
This photograph was taken in 1969, but, apart from the roof-storey (added in 1903) it looks much the same as when it opened a hundred years earlier.
Unlike other children’s hospitals which depended from the very beginning on public generosity, the Evelina was funded entirely from Rothschild’s personal wealth.
The outbreak of war in 1939 saw the Evelina turned into a Casualty Post, the children being either sent home or transferred to other hospitals, although the out-patient department continued to function. Throughout the war years the hospital was reopened to child patients and closed again as conditions changed. It took direct hits several times, in 1940, 1941 and 1944, but fortunately no lives were lost.
However, its days as an independent children's hospital were now numbered. With the formation of the National Health Service in 1946 the process of merging the Evelina into its nearby neighbour Guy's began in earnest. In 1948, the training of nurses and doctors for both institutions were integrated although the Evelina maintained a large degree of administrative autonomy. It took nearly 30 years for full integration to occur, when the building on Southwark Bridge Road was finally closed and the Evelina moved onto the Guy's site (1976) - in time to become just the children's ward for that hospital, its name and independence lost in the mists of time.
Demolished in the early 70's Corner of QUILP STREET &  SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD.jpg
Demolished in the early 70's. Corner of QUILP STREET / SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD
EVELINA HOSPITAL 2.jpg
EVELINA HOSPITAL.
Southwark Bridge Road,1913.   X..png

Evelina Hospital brought back some memories. I spent some time in there when I was about four (1946), can't remember what for though. I can remember some young girl (about 14) picking me up and dropping me on my head, it was an accident. So, I went home with a big bandage on me head and to cap it all off my Mum came to get me and forgot to bring my trousers. Then we get on the bus (was it a number 21?) and the only seats empty are the long one's just by the door. I might have been only four but I kept my legs crossed all the way to the Bricklayers Arms and I never let my Mum forget that.
Last edited by kiwi on Sat May 29, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Re: SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 pm

On the back of the card its says no visitors were allowed on Christmas Day! Hospitals imposed a strict regime in those days.
5 Southwark Bridge Road, Evelina Hospital School, c1950s.   X..jpg
Southwark Bridge Road, Evelina Hospital School, c1950s.
EVERLINA.jpg
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:59 am

Horse-drawn 50ft wheeled escape ladder and five-man crew in Southwark Headquarters drill yard, c. 1890. These escape ladders could be very quickly slipped by the crew and extended up to a window. Their sole role was rescue, and these units, one of which was based at each fire station, carried no firefighting equipment. Previously escape ladders were kept at fire escape stations and had to be pushed to fires when required. The firefighter on the left has his right hand on the bell.
Southwark Headquarters Drill Yard..jpg

Southwark Bridge Road, a motor steam fire engine with independent pumping and propelling engines.  X.png
The motor steam fire engine with independent pumping and propelling engines was developed later than the Merriweather Fire King self-propelled steam engine. Developed in 1909 with its oil burning boiler to a double cylinder reversing engine its first sale was to the London Fire Brigade. The chain drive, from the engine, can be clearly seen attached to the axle of the rear wheel. Seen here at London Fire Brigade headquarters, Southwark SE1.

Southwark Bridge Road Fire Station 1878.  X.png
Southwark Bridge Road Fire Station 1878.
Southwark Bridge Road, Brigade Court fire station c1900.  X.png
Southwark Bridge Road, Brigade Court fire station c1900.
Southwark Bridge Road, c2019, the former home of the London Fire Brigade.  X.png
Southwark Bridge Road, c2019, the former home of the London Fire Brigade. Now Apartments.
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:11 am

Southwark Bridge Road (1980) Barclay Perkins Brewery. (now Courage’s Shad Thames).jpg
Southwark Bridge Road (1980) Barclay Perkins Brewery. (now Courage’s Shad Thames).
Southwark Bridge Road (2017) shows the tall building & the small Courage’s building have disappeared. Anchor Terrace  now flats & apartments.jpg
Southwark Bridge Road (2017) shows the tall building & the small building have disappeared.
Southwark Bridge Road, Anchor Terrace (Brewery) 2017.jpg
Southwark Bridge Road, Anchor Terrace (Brewery) now flats & Apartments. 2017

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:00 am

South London Brewery Ltd, 134 Southwark Bridge Road London SE1. Founded 1760. Registered April 1937 as Jenner's Brewery Ltd.
Name changed as above 1939 when acquired by Beamish & Crawford Ltd. although this seems to be more the Beamish family than the Irish company. Woodhead's Brewery Ltd. acquired a stake in 1944 and brewing ceased in 1964.
Beside Belvedere Buildings & Opposite Scovell Road & Collinson Street.
South London Brewery Ltd, 134 Southwark Bridge Road London SE1.jpg
South London Brewery Ltd, 134 Southwark Bridge Road
SOUTH LONDON BREWERY. 2.jpg

SOUTH LONDON BREWERY 3.jpg
SOUTH LONDON BREWERY 5.jpg

Southwark Bridge Road Jenners Brewery being demolished..jpg
Jenners Brewery being demolished
South London Brewery site 2017,Southwark Bridge Road.jpg
South London Brewery site 2017. Southwark Bridge Road. Scovell Rd & Collinson St, on right.
South London Brewery..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:54 am

Goldsmith's Arms 96 Southwark Bridge Road was started in Finches Grotto at a medicinal spring, it burnt down in 1796 and rebuilt. Damaged in World War Two it was rebuilt soon after. The address is given as 1 Southwark Bridge Road (Horwood’s map of 1799 following the line of the modern Lant Street and Sawyer Street, prior to the construction of Southwark Bridge Road).
Southwark Bridge Road, Goldsmiths Arms.  X. (2).png
Southwark Bridge Road, Goldsmiths Arms.
Southwark Bridge Road corner of Sawyer Street left, Goldsmith's Arms  - in May 2007.jpg
Goldsmith's Arms, 96 Southwark Bridge Road, SE1 - in May 2007
South-east view of the Grotto Inn, St Georges Street, Southwark, London, 1825. Roughly where the.jpg
South-east view of the Grotto Inn, St Georges Street, Southwark, London, 1825. Where the
Goldsmith's Arms 96 Southwark Bridge Road/Sawyer Street is today.

Southwark Bridge Road, Goldsmiths pub.c2017..jpg
Goldsmiths pub. c 2017. Well the Fire station looks nice and bright.
;) Now called the Great Guns Social 2018.
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:05 am

The headquarters of the London Fire Brigade were once located in Southwark Bridge Road.
Southwark Bridge Road, this is the fire station, c1898..jpg
Southwark Bridge Road, this is the fire station, c1898.
Southwark Bridge Road, Southwark Fire Station's fire escape, 1939.png
Southwark Bridge Road, Southwark Fire Station's fire escape, 1939.

Southwark Bridge Road 1925.   X. (2).png
Southwark Bridge Road 1925.
Southwark Bridge Road. A horse-drawn steamer and crew at Southwark fire station, during the latter years of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (it was renamed the London Fire Brigade in 1904).  X.png
A horse-drawn steamer and crew at Southwark fire station.
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:32 am

Grey & Marten's City Lead Works, The works was below in Park Street alongside the bridge. They had been established in 1833. Besides making lead pipe and sheet they were manufacturers of solder. The firm became part of the Billiton Group and the building was demolished in 1981. They were amongst the first customers of the London Hydraulic Power Company in 1883
Southwark Bridge Road, Grey & Martin’s City Lead Mills 1978.jpg
Southwark Bridge Road, Southwark, Grey & Martin’s City Lead Mills 1978.
Southwark Bridge Road 1942.  X.png
Southwark Bridge Road,1951.   X.png
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:47 pm

Southwark Bridge Road, LFB Southwark Fire Station Yard in 1910.  X.png
Southwark Bridge Road, LFB Southwark Fire Station Yard in 1910.
SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD.jpg
SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD.
Southwark Bridge Road, the watch room of Southwark Fire Station, c1909.  X..png
Southwark Bridge Road, the watch room of Southwark Fire Station, c1909.
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:13 pm

The Britannia Pub, c1930,opposite Scovell Road.Left of pub was called Belvedere Buildings and behind the pub was the South London Brewery. More information in Scovell Road Topic.
Southwark Bridge Road. The Britannia Pub.  X..png

Southwark Bridge Road. The Britannia Pub, Publican in 1870 was J.H. Gabb.   X.png
Southwark Bridge Road. The Britannia Pub, was situated at 144 Southwark Bridge Road, Publican in 1870 was J.H. Gabb.
Last edited by kiwi on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”