How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: Southwark Park Road

Postby kiwi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:51 am

SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD.jpg
SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD, BEDE HOUSE, 2017  X.jpg
SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD, BEDE HOUSE, 2017

BEDE HOUSE ASSOCIATION, 1938.
A disused bakery (left) on Southwark Park Road was found, and although it was small, it was affordable. David Nye, the brother of Noël Nye, who would become Warden in 1948, could make the necessary adjustments to the building relatively cheaply. The purchase was made in 1938, and in February 1939, Bede House Settlement was officially opened. £400 was enough to purchase the Southwark Park Road bakery. I wonder what it is worth now?
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:36 am

An Aerial View of Southwark Park Road and John Bull Arch looking west towards the Blue Shops in Bermondsey in 1968. Layard Road bottom right, Drummond Road right of bridge with Garage on corner, Raymouth Road left of bridge with The Raymouth Tavern Pub on the corner.
SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD 1968..jpg
SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD 1968

rodebdon

Postby rodebdon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:33 pm

It’s a long time since l lasted posted anything on this fantastic forum, this post is not great but it’s a start. I remember watching the Scouts, Cubs and l think Brownies and Girl Guides parade on a Sunday once a year. Standing opposite the Scouts H Q just along from the park. This was in the early 50s l wonder when they stopped the parades.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 pm

The Queen Victoria Pub, Southwark Park Road Bermondsey, Billy Burnham playing the piano, and he really looks like he is enjoying it. Nice if someone could give us some information on Billy and maybe the people in the background.
The Queen Victoria Pub, Southwark Park Road Bermondsey, Billy Burnham playing the piano,.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:43 am

Original Post by Bill Winter 2012. Re-Alma School.
Hi everyone. My name is Bill Wnter. Perhaps I could throw a little light with regards to Alma School (which in 1940 was the School next to Alwyn School) The main entrance was in Cadbury Road off Yalding Road it had large double gate entrance into the school
buildings and a large playground.The playground ran very slightly downhill towards Southwark Park Road where there was 2 single cast iron gates that were opened on to the pavement of SPR that was opposite to the area between Alma Grove(Road) and Balaclava Road.I was attending Alma at the time because my original School, St James in Thurland Road had closed (Evacuated) in 1939 just after the outbreak of the war. I next attened Farncombe Street School (evacuated) went to Boutcher School in Grange Road.That closed, and I went to Alma in September 1940 that got bomb damage about three and a half months later and I went with Alma to the School in Alexis street. After 4 months I personally left Alma School the last week in May 1941 when I, a brother and a sister were evacuated to Kettering. That was the time that Alexis Street became involved with Alma School. I might add that in each class I attended in each different school they were teaching Subjects that I had already studied at St James's School I found afterwards that St James was one of the leading Schools in the Area at that time.
To let you know that my age in 1939 I was 9 years old in the July. .
Regards to All, Bill Winter 2012

Patricia

Postby Patricia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:21 am

I wen to Alma school and would love to find any others who went there. I was there from 1957 until I don't remember. the Headmistress was called Mrs Legington, I lived in Dunton Road, my parents are from Abbey St.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:46 am

Posts by -kaybee & caroleannefortroad in 2011 (from old site)
Hi. I've just joined so all this is very new to me. I was born in Alderminster Road and lived there until I was 21 when the GLC moved us out. I went to Alma School from 1954 then onto The Aylwin. I remember Mr Murphy, Mr Cresswell and Mrs Ledgington fro The Alma very well and also Miss Percy, Miss Morris, Mrs Ardity, Miss Pompa and Mrs Murtough from The Aylwin. Does anyone else remember these teachers?
-kaybee 2011

Hi Kaybee,
I lived in Fort Road and I went to Alma from 1951-1957 and then Aylwin from 1957-1962 and I remember all the teachers stated in both schools. I also remember Mrs herdson the maths teacher and Mrs Blanchard the Italian teacher. I had Mrs Sankey for French and Miss Vincent for music. Miss Riley for science and Miss Drury for english. I can't remember the name of the teacher we had for Latin or for Geography.
I loved my time at both schools but sadly Aylwin is not the school we all came to love. It is now an Academy and no longer called Aylwin
caroleannefortroad 2011

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:16 am

Re-post of a Picture by Millylinseyst (Milly) and posted by fosney on page 3.
Southwark Park Road Alma School 1947 celabrating the Queens wedding.jpg
Alma road school. I think this is to celebrate the Queens wedding to Philip. (1947)?.
Southwark Park Road Alma Boys School, Bermondsey, 1908.jpg
Alma Boys School, Bermondsey, 1908. Boys are making drawings on black boards and easels of a saucepan placed on a pedestal in the middle of the hall.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:51 am

These are earlier posts regarding Alma School & area. Memories which should be remembered, for future generations, hope you agree? :)

paperboy 2011.
The area between Alexis Street & SPR and Macks Road & Linsey Street, was a block of derelict land in the late 1950s. Apart from the two shops on the corner of Linsey Street and SPRd (one of which had Matchbox toys in the window and the other had a sewer stench pipe outside) the whole area stood empty with weeds all over it. It had been cleared in anticipation of building the blocks of flats which are there now (Peter Hills House Robert MacKenzie House, I think). After clearing the houses and the rubble, nothing happened on the site for some months.

Spud Murphy had decided that the school could use this land as a cricket ground until the flats were erected. He got permission so to do and set up work parties under the supervision of Barry Thurnell (then about 11 and head of Red House in the school) to clear the site enough for a wicket to be levelled and an outfield to be created. The exercise was sufficiently newsworthy to make national TV and was on "Tonight" with Cliff Michelmore (the forerunners to Nationwide and the One Show). I know we used it for one season, possibly more.
I wonder what Barry is doing now? He lived on St James' Road.

Bas 2012.
Hi
I am the Barry Thurnell who helped build the Cricket pitch at the Alma School with spud Murphy after the Alma I went to St OlIves. I have lived in Dartford Tunbridge Wells Nottingham and Now Gloucestershire I retired last year My mum Joyce Still-lives in Bermondsey My Dad Don died a few years ago he will be remembered for entertaing thousands of Children over the Years in the many Parks in Bermonsey over the years and being one of the Stars of the Thorburn Players but most of all for his years dedecated to the Cubs and Scouts of Bermonset particlarly The 14th Bermondsey.

fogbrain 2012.
Hi Bas, and welcome - you fame precedes you as you have seen, although the blocks of flats on your pitch didn't even seem particularly new when I started at Alma in 63.
I've not heard of the Thorburn Players before; I infer from the name that they were based at St Anne's. Did your dad entertain children in parks under his real name?

Bas 2012
Hi again We built the cricket the cricket pitch in 1960 on the bombsite and ! think used it in 60-61
I went to St Olaves in 61. The Thorburn Players were based in St [url=mailto:Ann@s]Ann@s[/url] Thorburn Square. My Dad Was called Uncle Don for his Childrens Work he also went to Schools in Bermonsey doing Road safety with "Rita the Talking Dog and Lobby Lud the Talking traffic light. Dad was also a cub leader at the 27th and then the 14th Bermonsey he was in the scout gang show both for London and Bermondsey he was later District Commisioner for many years.

fogbrain 2012.
Hi Bas,
It's weird that I don't remember the flats on the site being built; I lived in Thorburn Square and started at Alma in 1963, but I only remember the flats in their completed state. Our neighbours from Thorburn Square, Phil and Bern, moved into one.

rene 2012
Hi Bas
A number of kids including my friend and myself were chosen to make a safety-first film with Rita the dog around 1954… not sure of exact year. Could this be the same Rita you mentioned in your post? She was a German Shepherd/Alsatian.
The scenes filmed that I recall were crossing the road by the traffic lights at the junction near the Rialto Cinema (the usual look right, look left and look right again stuff) and on the roof of a building in a mock classroom setting in which Rita counted numbers by barking the correct amount of times.
Regards
Rene

Bas 2012
Hi Rene
Yes it was the same Dog I think after all this time I can reveal Ritas secret,as you rightly say she barked the answer to sums or questions ! bark yes 2 barks no 5barks for 5etc but Ritas secret was to only bark when her owner looked at her, as soon as the owner turned his eyes away she stopped barking.
I was at the alma between 19555 -1961 Mr Cresswell was a much-feared Teacher and I also had the lovely Mrs Legerton.
Bas

Rene
Hi Bas .....you mean Rita couldn't really count? Well .... smack my head and call me dumb - so that was how it was done!!
Rene
(smiles) :D

freddie 2012 (slightly adjusted)
Hi Bas,
I was one of your dad's 27th Bermondsey cubs. Also going to Alma (Alexis Street) from 1957-63, we used the patch of waste ground across the road for "nature trips" before the flats were built.
Regards
Freddie

Thank you to everyone for your memories and posts Kiwi (Ray). ;)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:34 am

Blue Anchor Pub,showing just how long it as been there & the changes along the way.
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB,BERMONDSEY,1695.png
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB,BERMONDSEY,1695.
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, PRE-1878.png
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, PRE-1878
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, AFTER 1878..jpg
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB, AFTER 1878.
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB 2017..jpg
THE BLUE ANCHOR PUB 2017

Return to “Buildings & Streets”