Re: Southwark Park Road

Postby kiwi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:51 am

SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD.jpg
SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD, BEDE HOUSE, 2017  X.jpg
SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD, BEDE HOUSE, 2017

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:36 am

An Aerial View of Southwark Park Road and John Bull Arch looking west towards the Blue Shops in Bermondsey in 1968. Layard Road bottom right, Drummond Road right of bridge with Garage on corner, Raymouth Road left of bridge with The Raymouth Tavern Pub on the corner.
SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD 1968..jpg
SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD 1968

rodebdon

Postby rodebdon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:33 pm

It’s a long time since l lasted posted anything on this fantastic forum, this post is not great but it’s a start. I remember watching the Scouts, Cubs and l think Brownies and Girl Guides parade on a Sunday once a year. Standing opposite the Scouts H Q just along from the park. This was in the early 50s l wonder when they stopped the parades.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 pm

The Queen Victoria Pub, Southwark Park Road Bermondsey, Billy Burnham playing the piano, and he really looks like he is enjoying it. Nice if someone could give us some information on Billy and maybe the people in the background.
The Queen Victoria Pub, Southwark Park Road Bermondsey, Billy Burnham playing the piano,.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:43 am

Original Post by Bill Winter 2012. Re-Alma School.
Hi everyone. My name is Bill Wnter. Perhaps I could throw a little light with regards to Alma School (which in 1940 was the School next to Alwyn School) The main entrance was in Cadbury Road off Yalding Road it had large double gate entrance into the school
buildings and a large playground.The playground ran very slightly downhill towards Southwark Park Road where there was 2 single cast iron gates that were opened on to the pavement of SPR that was opposite to the area between Alma Grove(Road) and Balaclava Road.I was attending Alma at the time because my original School, St James in Thurland Road had closed (Evacuated) in 1939 just after the outbreak of the war. I next attened Farncombe Street School (evacuated) went to Boutcher School in Grange Road.That closed, and I went to Alma in September 1940 that got bomb damage about three and a half months later and I went with Alma to the School in Alexis street. After 4 months I personally left Alma School the last week in May 1941 when I, a brother and a sister were evacuated to Kettering. That was the time that Alexis Street became involved with Alma School. I might add that in each class I attended in each different school they were teaching Subjects that I had already studied at St James's School I found afterwards that St James was one of the leading Schools in the Area at that time.
To let you know that my age in 1939 I was 9 years old in the July. .
Regards to All, Bill Winter 2012

Return to “Buildings & Streets”