Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Bantry Place formerly Guildford Place

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:50 pm

1BantryPlacebermondsey.jpg
Bantry place
Spa Road

With the forthcoming development on the south side of Spa Road, let's try and look at the north side as it used to be - opposite the shops that are now being closed.

It is not very often we get an insight into the housing that stood on the site of the Neckinger Estate before the modern flats that we know today.

The picture from 1938 shows Bantry Place formerly Guildford Place. From the old map we can see it was opposite Dunlop Place and the Salvation Army City Colony.

The picture gives great detail, and if enlarged we see a woman standing at the front door, children with some sort of cart and a pet cat in the middle of the forecourt.

The aerial view gives some sort of idea what the area was like with more shops (picture quality poor).

1BantryPlacefromDunlopPlace.jpg
what we have today

2BantryPlaceAerialView.jpg
Aerial view of area

1BantryPlacemap.jpg
Map of area

fosney

Re: Bantry Place formerly Guildford Place

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Posted by BillWinter

Hi Joe thank you for the photo of Bantry place. my brother Nick had a friend Named Steve Tanner
whose family lived in Bantry Place and I did visit his house down there to take a message from my bruv.Also at the side of the last house on the left was a small alley which backed on to the
houses in Enid street(which in 1938 started from Rouel Rd to the Windsor Castle Pub then went left 90 degrees and finished at The Neckinger) A Friend of mine had relatives who lived in a House in Enid street of where they met the back of Bantry Place. Memories So Good! Bill

Return to “Buildings & Streets”