Tower Bridge

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Tower Bridge

Postby fosney » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Another picture for the collection

Tower Bridge in 1900 a few years after the opening the horses had not yet been replaced by the motor vehicle and the reconstruction of the area had not yet taken place.

Tower Bridge today apart from the traffic congestion it is still recoginsable. And the horses have been replaced by the car.
Tower Bridge 1900.jpg
Tower Bridge c1900
Tower Bridge.jpg
Tower Bridge

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: Tower Bridge

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Posted by freddie

The two pictures of "Tower Bridge" are taken from different positions. The 1900's shot shows the view from Queen Elizabeth Street probably taken from the bank building (shown on the corner of Tooley Street in the google earth/google street view below). The bank and the Tower Bridge Hotel (now the Pommelers Rest) where built to form an impressive 'gateway' to the new bridge.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 am

BRIDGE (2).jpg
TOWER BRIDGE HOTEL, now the POMMELERS REST.
TB4.jpg
POMMELERS REST.2015.
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:36 am

kitchin.jpg
Tower Bridge Hotel,Kitchin.
smoking.jpg
Tower Bridge Hotel, Smoking Room.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Tower Bridge Hotel Bar, Tower Bridge Road..jpg
Tower Bridge Hotel Bar. Hotel & Pictures Taken in 1897.
Tower Bridge Hotel.Billiards Room..jpg
Tower Bridge Hotel,Billiards Room.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Tower Bridge Road,c 1925.jpg
Tower Bridge Road c 1925, Cross Roads With Tooley St
The original invite to the opening of Tower Bridge… X.jpg
The original invite to the opening of Tower Bridge
Last edited by kiwi on Wed May 31, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:54 am

Tower Subway
To the west of Tower Bridge under the river is the forgotten Tower Subway - which was built in 1870 by James Greathead. It used a shuttle to transport 12 people under the river. However, after a few months it was taken out of service but it is still the world's first passage train tunnel. It became a successful pedestrian subway until it was made redundant by Tower Bridge and now transports water mains only!
The second oldest tunnel running under the Thames, Tower Subway is an often-forgotten legacy of Victorian engineering. The tunnel runs between Tower Hill on the north side of the river, through to Vine Lane on the south side of the river (i.e. just to the west of Tower Bridge).
MAN.jpg
TUNNEL.
Tower Subway,1870 Worlds first passage tunnel,Bermondsey..jpg
Tower Subway,1870 Worlds first passage tunnel,

kiwi

Re: TOWER SUBWAY

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:57 am

TUNNEL (2).jpg
SUBWAY .
VINE.gif
MAP

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi rstupple2
I took my 2 boys 10 & 5 toTower Bridge this summer for the 1st tme (after a trip to Manzies of course), stood both of them on the middle of the bridge and told them to wait for a lorry or bus to go over as it was a favourite pastime of mine as a kid, both looked at me as if I was a shilling short. Oh the simple pleasures todays kids miss out on, they make me feel ancient & I'm only 45. I also used to love waiting at the BRS depot in Willow Walk in the hope that something would drive onto the weighbridge, strange I know but me & me mates were fascinated by it. Used to love the big old wooden lift at E & C tube station as well. Am I weird or did we just enjoy the simple things.
Dawn
ps also loved the model of the Library in Spa Road, my absolute favourite place as a kid. All those books. Saw Bagpuss there on summer hol in the early 70's as they had a special event for kids and a story time session. Brilliant.

times were hard but "IT NEVER DID ME ANY HARM"

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Posted by freddie

Hi rstupple2
I took my 2 boys 10 & 5 toTower Bridge this summer for the 1st tme (after a trip to Manzies of course), stood both of them on the middle of the bridge and told them to wait for a lorry or bus to go over as it was a favourite pastime of mine as a kid, both looked at me as if I was a shilling short.

-bermondseywaller

With all the maintenance (damping) done on the bridge over "recent" years, the deflection between either side of 'the crack' doesn't seem to be as great as it used to be - or maybe that's just all in my nostalgic mind. Things being a lot bigger when you were smaller!

Return to “Buildings & Streets”