Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: St. James's church

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Posted by junemack

Ian Martin

Hello. I have just read your posting that your grandparents lived at 13 Giles House my family lived at 12 Giles House and also moved in when they were first built. My parents and your grandparents were good friends we have them all on an old film taken when they went to visit Mr and Mrs Martin in Ramsgate (we were as children never allowed to call our elders by their first name then). Your Nan use to work for Peek Freans if I remember rightly and always brought us home bags of broken biscuits which as children we thought that was fantastic. I too spent many a good time going down that lovely old slide what fantastic memories. All my family (Gransparents, Aunts and Uncles) and many cousins to keep each other company and to go out with - so one was ever lonely.

Kind regards - June

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Posted by ianmartin

Hello June

It was lovely to read your message! It's the first time since I've been on this site that I've 'spoken' to someone that actually knew my family! What were your parents names June? Which flat was 12, was it the other side of the lifts, or next door? Yes, you're right about Peeks!! and the broken biscuits, they are legendary, I reckon everyone on this site must have sampled them!! So, did you visit Ramsgate too, with your parents? They loved it down there, I think my Nan missed all her friends from Bermondsey though, sadly, they are no longer with us, Nan (Cis) passed away in 1984, Granpop (George) made it to 95, saw the Millennium in, still fit as a butchers dog, sadly though didn't reach 2001, we sadly lost Georgie (their son, my uncle) in 2010 to cancer, but my Mum is still with us, she'll be 81 in July, she's in Jersey at present, got a postcard from her today!

If you look at the wedding pics on this thread, in the centre, you'll see Cis, Joyce & Georgie (no idea where George is!!)

Are you able to post the pics on here? It would be lovely to see them!

It is lovely to hear from you!!

All the best to you

Ian

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Posted by junemack

Hi Ian

Good to get your reply so soon. Our flat was the other side of the lift - Mum and Dads name were Hilda and Arthur Carey there was three of us children. No I never went to Ramgate with my parents I had left home by that time and the house we rented needed decorating badly my Dad and your Grandpop got their brushes etc., and helped us decorate (in fact they did most of it) made it look lovely for us to move into. Bermondsey holds so many happy memories it was a great place with many childhood memories. I can see myself now waiting at the bus stop opposite the flats to go to work as if it were only yesterday. Dad passed away in 1975 he was in his early sixties and Mum in 1983 she was just coming up to 70 both with cancer.

I got married in St.James' Church in 1959 and my sister Jan in 1960. I have looked at your photos and recognised your Grandparents they are lovely photos you have put on this site . I also have photos like you with my children playing on the swings and round about - the trouble is when you look at the old photos although it brings back such lovely memories it can make you feel sad also (it does me anyway).

I have never tried to put any photos on here.

All the best - June

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Posted by ianmartin

Hello June!

I thought so! I remember Mr & Mrs Carey! I expect we must have met at some stage, although I was only 3 when you got married, I'm sure we both would have been frequent visitors to Giles House during the 60s? I'm sue my Mum would remember you too, although she only lived at 13 for a couple of years at most. Granpop decorated, or helped decorate most peoples houses, working as a painter and decorator for the council (did your Dad work there as well?), he was always re-decorating at home, he wouldn't say anything beforehand, sometimes if Nan went out for the day, she'd come home and find a room changed!

I know what you mean about the memories, it is sad because all (or most) of the people and places are gone now, but, what is nice is that it was such a welcoming place and time, and that can't ever change!

Do you still live in, or near, Bermondsey? I live in Sussex now, as does my Mum (Joyce).

Posting photos is pretty straightforward, there are instructions on the site, if you get into difficulties we can 'chat' using private messages.

Great to hear from you June, must tell Mum!

All the best

Ian

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Posted by junemack

Hello Ian

My Dad worked for Elliott Bros engineering in Lewisham he was an instrument maker - he could practically turn his hands to anything. Whatever we wanted done he as always there to give us a hand.

I do remember your Mum but I nearly always chatted to Georgie.

Yes I was always back at Giles house nearly every Saturday with my 3 children as did my sister with her 3 children also - when I look back on it I think that perhaps sometimes my Mum could of wished us further when we all turned up on the doorstep - by the time we unloaded all that we had brought with us we just took over the flat - but none the more for that she always had the kettle on and ready to feed us all with whatever she had in the cupboard. Mum and Dad loved us coming but in turn I think they was pleased with the peace and quiet when we all went home ha! ha! makes me laugh just thinking about it now.

You saying that Mr Martin would decorate the front room and it would be different by the time Mrs Martin came home brought back one funny memory to me.

My Mum wanted her front room decorated and we all got together and did it one weekend - my sister would organise and make the tea the rest of us would do the painting etc., this one time we all got it done (bearing in mind all the children were there as well) when it was all finished we all stood back and admired our handy work and on looking we were quite shocked when Dad had put the wallpaper upside down - well! - you can just imagine the laughter then Dad said in so many words it will have to stop like it - Mum was not at all happy im afraid. It stopped like it for quite some time - a good memory.

Like you I too live in Sussex.

Good to hear from you

June

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Posted by ianmartin

Hello June

A lovely story! I bet he never lived that one down!

Yes, as I mentioned, Mum didn't live there for very long, she was married in 1954. Georgie lived there for quite a bit longer, he did National Service and then married Anne, they both lived there until about 1965, they bought a new house near Rochester, sadly they parted about 1970, he then went abroad for a while, he eventually settled down and re-married in 1981 and this time became a Dad, 2 boys and a girl, they all lived together in Cornwall, sadly cancer took him in 2010.

Whereabouts in Sussex are you, don't worry June, we won't turn up on your doorstep!? I'm in East Grinstead, Mum lives in Heathfield now, when we left London we moved to Crowborough.

Have you found time to have a good look at everything on this site yet? I've found it absolutely fascinating, and highly educational!

Nice to hear back June.

All the best

Ian

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Posted by junemack

Hello Ian

Your right there Dad never lived it down but he had a good sense of humour and took it well.

When I get on this site I loose track of time as every thing is so interesting to read and looking at all the photos are just lovely especially the old ones, your photos of St.James's Church are great.

Its a nice place East Grinstead isnt it. We live in Crowborough been here for 20 years. Where abouts did you live here.

Its good to hear from you again.

Bye for now

June

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Posted by ianmartin

Hello June

Been away for a couple of days.

You live in Crowborough!!! No!! What a small world! Whereabouts? We moved there in 1966 when I was 10! There were lots of new estates going up, we lived at no 45 Medway, Mum eventually left there in 1983, a year after I got married, she then moved to where she now lives in Heathfield.

I know what you mean about this site, you can spend ages, I have, and still do, but yes, the photos are priceless.

I shall probably see Mum this weekend, she will be so surprised when I tell her about where you live!

Bye for now

Ian

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Posted by gibbojr

It's lovely to hear all the stories about the old Church slide. My Family all come from Bermondsey and my lovely old Nan still lives there, unfortunately my other grand parents have all passed away but my Nan would never move out. I can confirm that the slide was still there in the early 80's as my brother and my cousins and I all used to play on it when we were little. My Nan and Grandad lived in the flats in Abbey Street and so we'd always pester them to take us over there when we were staying up. I remember the flats had a "cage" to play football and or netball. I travel past there on the train to work and you can just see (through a little gap between the blocks) there's a lovely little park in the centre now.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Posted by delphigirl25

Hello everyone. I was born in Keetons Road Bermondsey in 1946 and spent many years sliding down this slide. The lady was very strict and made sure no one misbehaved. Getting a sisal mat and carrying it up to the top and sitting on it to slide down over and over and over and over and over and over! Well we all just loved it until we had to go home for tea! So many happy times. St. James Church park was also lovely outside of the slide area. We were very lucky to grow up in Bermondsey in the 50's and 60's. I think times changed after that.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”