WOODLAND PLACE/ TURNERS RETREAT.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

WOODLAND PLACE/ TURNERS RETREAT.

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:59 am

Posts from old site.
CHRIS.
My great granddad, grandmother & her brothers lived at numbers 14 & 15 from about 1918 until about 1947.
I got these photos from Southwark Library. The first one outside the front of number 6. The second is the back of Woodland Place. Both were taken in 1922.
woodland place 2.jpg
Woodland Place, outside number 6.
woodland place 1.jpg
Back of Woodland Place 1922.

Maxine1967.
My mum's family came from Bermondsey and wondered if any of the older members remember Woodlands Place (numbers 1-17) before it changed it's name to Bacon Grove in around 1937?

I have some electoral registers for Woodlands Place from early 1900s to 1938 if anyone is looking for names etc.
My great, great grandparents lived at 4 Woodlands Place before moving to Lynton Road during the war and then moved to Dunton Road.
My family names are Sprankel (Sprangle), Barfoot, Tate, Ansell and Lapthorn(e). Nan used to work in David Greigs on Old Kent Road and the bakers on Tower Bridge Road and my grandad was a pianist and used to play the piano in many of the local pubs in Bermondsey. I have a photo of my grandad at the piano in the World Upside Down Pub on Old Kent Road in circa early 1950s.
John Jame Lapthorn(e) lived in Ernest Street which changed it's name to Canon Murnane Road (now gone). I have done a fair amount of research on the Lapthorn(s) and a lot of them were related one way or another but originated from the Devon area.

chickenrun
Woodlands place is where my family lived. The numbers only went up to number 15. The people
at 14 and 15 were named Wood and Williams

Woodland Place/Bacon Grove was opposite Spa Road, next to the Grange Road Bath's.
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fosney

Re: WOODLAND PLACE.

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:25 am

Posted by Bill Clayton

Hi Joe your comments on Woodlands place bring back a lot of memories some very sad,
Lost Mum only a few months ago, She used to go to the BBC Washhouse with the weeks laundery. it was my job every Tuesday morning on the way to Webb Street School then Bacon's In Grange road, to book a machine for her on tuesday evening, She would take it down when she got in from work, start it off, then come prepare the tea, and go back to finish it off. We did not appricate what they did for us.
Also the Tandoori was a bakers & a cafe when I went swimming in the baths in the late fifties
After we come out used to go to the Bakery who sold slices of Bread pudding the sizes being 1d-2d and if you was well off 3d could last all day on that. It was always called Dustmans wedding cake. LOVELY. Rick

-rstupple2

the bakers was called chillinsworths on the opposite corner of spa road my mates house the honeymans lived billy eddie harold jean joyce sure there were a couple more we lived at no 70 spa road all the people were poor in these days but they knew who they were and if and where possible they would help each other out

Quote Reply

kiwi

Re: WOODLAND PLACE/ BACON GROVE.

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:33 pm

Bacon Grove. The street still exists today, 2023.
Woodlands Place, 1922, now Bacon Grove, off Grange Road.  X.png
Woodlands Place, 1922, now Bacon Grove, is off Grange Road.
Woodland Place 1910, off Grange Road.  X..png
Woodlands Place 1910.
Woodland Place now Bacon Grove 1942.  X..png
Woodland Place now Bacon Grove 1942.

kiwi

Re: WOODLAND PLACE/ TURNERS RETREAT.

Postby kiwi » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:52 am

Turner’s Retreat was a small courtyard of 13 houses in Bermondsey,1893-96, off The Grange,Grange Road (bottom).  X..png
Turner’s Retreat was a small courtyard of 13 houses in Bermondsey,1893-96, off The Grange (left), Grange Road (bottom).
Woodland Place 1910, and Turners Retreat in yellow. off Grange Road.  X..png
Woodland Place 1910, and Turners Retreat in yellow.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”