Ilderton Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: Ilderton Road

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:26 am

Hi Brian, I see what you mean, so first things first. The first picture I posted does look like a school, so I assumed that is what it was. After checking many maps and information about Ilderton Road I could only find two schools being in Ilderton Road, the one by the bridge which I knew was not the one in the picture and the one that was where Canterbury Industrial Estate is now, so I assumed (how many times have I been told do not Assume) that is where the school in the picture was.
I have now located the picture somewhere else and it states on the corner of Ilderton Road & Old Kent Road, again after looking at many maps, WW1 & 2 bombings I cannot find any information that confirms a school being there, anyway, school or no school I now think that the information is correct. That being the case the street to the left would be Wagner Street, hope you agree with me.
Your picture you found on London Picture Archive (Collage) may well be the school by Hornshay Street but knowing that they do get it wrong at times I would not post it as that until we can confirm it is what it is.
Thanks, Brian, for taking the time to post the picture, plus the information and pointing me in the right direction concerning the location.
Ray. :)

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:11 am

kiwi wrote:Hi Brian, I see what you mean, so first things first. The first picture I posted does look like a school, so I assumed that is what it was. After checking many maps and information about Ilderton Road I could only find two schools being in Ilderton Road, the one by the bridge which I knew was not the one in the picture and the one that was where Canterbury Industrial Estate is now, so I assumed (how many times have I been told do not Assume) that is where the school in the picture was.
I have now located the picture somewhere else and it states on the corner of Ilderton Road & Old Kent Road, again after looking at many maps, WW1 & 2 bombings I cannot find any information that confirms a school being there, anyway, school or no school I now think that the information is correct. That being the case the street to the left would be Wagner Street, hope you agree with me.
Your picture you found on London Picture Archive (Collage) may well be the school by Hornshay Street but knowing that they do get it wrong at times I would not post it as that until we can confirm it is what it is.
Thanks, Brian, for taking the time to post the picture, plus the information and pointing me in the right direction concerning the location.
Ray. :)

Hi Ray,

Looks like mystery solved!
Well, one of them anyway!
The 'phantom' road, to the left of the image is, as you say, is Wagner Street!
The side wall to the shops on the right hand side of the image and the larger building in the background were ringing bells with me... then it suddenly hit me! the photo was taken at the junction of Ilderton Road and Old kent Road!

The building being demolished would make way for... Cantor Motors!
The picture was taken in 1950... I asked mum if she could remember what that building was, but as she would have only been around 5 at the time, she only remembers Cantor Motors being on that site.
So, the question is... what is that building? It definitely looks like a school... I wonder if any other members know?
Comparison images of the top of Ilderton Road attached.

Cheers,

Brian.
Ilderton Road - 2020.png
Ilderton Road - 1950.png
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:12 pm

I was hoping the ordnance survey from 1937-50 might shed some light... :?
Ordnance Survey 1940-60.png

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Forgot to mention... if you look at the higher res photo of the building, the date carved above the doorway seems to read 1906... in which case, it wasn't a particularly long lived building?
Also of interest, is the air raid shelter arrow/sign painted on the corner... 170 yds down Ilderton Road.
Now, according to the ordnance survey screenshot, I estimate that being somewhere around 'PH 322', that being, the Little Wonder Pub! ;)
AS OKR.png

CharlotteD

Postby CharlotteD » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi Brian,

*EDIT* I’ve found it! Sorry not related to your recent post but trying to find a photographic image and this is the closest so far. I am very interested in this thread however and enjoy looking at the historical images of Ilderton Road and why it has become so industrial now. Brian, would your Mum remember the members of the Warren family living at no 47 in the 40/50’s?

“Your historical Ordnance survey maps are very interesting. A quick google search tells me that these aren’t too easy to find. I see that your latest post has street numbers on - do you have one from the 40/50’s of number 47 please? This house was not destroyed during the war but post war. Many thanks”
E408563A-714C-4B57-B4F9-6648277AF5AC.jpeg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:31 am

Hi Brian, the building on the corner with the Old Kent Road, which we feel is a school, I think was bombed in WWI. They where reports of an Airship dropping bombs in Ilderton Road in 1915, so it is possible one fell there?
Ilderton Road School, stove 1909.  X.png
Ilderton Road School, stove 1909. Not sure what school this was?

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:41 am

CharlotteD wrote:Hi Brian,

*EDIT* I’ve found it! Sorry not related to your recent post but trying to find a photographic image and this is the closest so far. I am very interested in this thread however and enjoy looking at the historical images of Ilderton Road and why it has become so industrial now. Brian, would your Mum remember the members of the Warren family living at no 47 in the 40/50’s?

“Your historical Ordnance survey maps are very interesting. A quick google search tells me that these aren’t too easy to find. I see that your latest post has street numbers on - do you have one from the 40/50’s of number 47 please? This house was not destroyed during the war but post war. Many thanks”

Hi Charlotte,

Glad you found it... I guess that'll be where the travelers camp is now!
We were from the other side of the canal bridge, between Rollins Street and Sharratt Street and although we knew pretty much everyone along our two rows of terrace houses, we didn't know too many people from the other side of the bridge... apart from the couple who worked in the sweet shop on the corner of Zampa road.
I do have happy memories of walking down to the post office and spending my pocket money on the occasional Airfix kit!

Brian.

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:25 am

kiwi wrote:Hi Brian, the building on the corner with the Old Kent Road, which we feel is a school, I think was bombed in WWI. They where reports of an Airship dropping bombs in Ilderton Road in 1915, so it is possible one fell there?
Ilderton Road School, stove 1909. X.png

Hi Ray,

Funny you should say that, I was wondering if it had been bomb damaged during the WW2?
I know the whole area took a bit of a battering during the war; presumably they were targeting the railway lines and factories!
I remember my nan mentioning a bomb that exploded at the bottom of Rollins Street... they were in Upcott Street at the time and the friends/neighbours of hers that died during the V2 rocket attack on Woolworths in New Cross.
I do remember reading about a WW1 zeppelin attack on the OKR, so it's possible.
It's frustrating that there seems to be so little information on the building!

Brian.

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi Ray,

So, a bit more digging and I've come across some additional info... some of it quite surprising!
I found the attached photos on the Layers Of London website.
I was looking at the 'bomb damage' layer and it appears that the building in question was bomb damaged (highlighted in red) and was indeed a school!
The aerial b/w RAF photo, taken shortly after the war, shows the school from above, but more interestingly is what that site became shortly afterwards!
So, before it it became Cantor Motors, it was the Chaucer LCC Restaurant!
It would appear then, that the school was demolished in the late 40's, with the restaurant being built by the early 50's. by the mid to late 50's the building was slightly modified to become a car showroom.
If the school did sustain damage during the war, I looks as if it wasn't substantial, as the original image doesn't really show any structural damage?
Still would be interesting to know what the school was called?

Brian.
Chaucer LCC Restaurant.png
RAF Image.png
OKR School.png

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:04 pm

Hi Ray,

I'm on a roll at the moment... :lol:
It appears that parts of the school building were retained and incorporated into the newer building!
The end walls of what may have been the school hall can be seen protruding through the roof in the photo of Cantor Motors!
I'm also wondering if the side wall with the window apertures was reused?
As it was rebuilt just after the war, I guess it would make sense to recycle as much as possible!

Brian.
Old School Building.png
Cantor Motors.png

Return to “Buildings & Streets”