Farncombe Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Farncombe Street

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Bermondsey Settlement --- Farncombe Street

The only Methodist Foundation that opened in the late 19th Century, but like other settlements it offered social, health and educational services to the poor people of the area.

It opened in 1892 and served the Community until 1967, being demolished in 1969.

The Brainchild of the Rev. John Scott Lidgett, the Settlement had many notable residents, Hugh Price Hughes, founder of the Methodist Times, Dr C W Kimmins, Inspector of Education of the LCC, and Dr Alfred Salter and his wife who championed Bermondsey's plight to alleviate poverty.

The Picture of the Settlement Building is seen next to a school - I believe the school is the one that still stands today in Bevington Street and from the map of 1916 it appears that the Settlement Building was next door to the school. Farncombe Street was once the prominent street in the area which ran from Jamaica Road to Bermondsey Wall, but since redevelopment it has all changed and Farncombe Street is now a cul de sac.

Today's picture is viewed from Bovington Street.

8750dbd02097503f66604ed73348048c64f8b663.jpg
98c90b7856a977c9e37087beed98cbfc1820daa3.jpg
e8fd37f10b1b2e20333aae5e1fa303a2556c0983.jpg

fosney

Re: Farncombe Street

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:19 pm

Posted by deegs

Tanks Fosney. I was too young to remember the Settlement Building being knocked down, but for years I've wondered where it was actually located.

Having been brought up on the Dickens Estate, it's really hard to comprehend what this area looked like before being redeveloped - even much of the basic road-layout looks completely different to todays. I presume that quite a lot survived the war, before the estates and new Jamaica Road were built?

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm

deegs

Thanks for your comments on the Settlement, but I must admit I did not frequent that particular area much as child. After the war there were more than enough bombed buildings for us kids to explore without venturing too far, then as we grew older we were conscripted into the forces. On returning back to Bermondsey we moved to Abbey Wood on the new estate, and then later to Essex to follow my job with the PLA and much later a final move to Lincolnshire where I live now. So as you can see I do all this by remote control and the PC
Perhaps freddie can answer your question about what survived the war in that area as he is quite knowledgeable on the district, or perhaps other members would like to comment.

Many thanks to crosby34 for the picture of the aerial view.

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Posted by bermondseygal

Bermondsey Settlement --- Farncombe StreetThe only Methodist Foundation that opened in the late 19th Century, but like other settlements it offered social, health and educational services to the poor people of the area. It opened in 1892 and served the Community until 1967, being demolished in 1969. The Brainchild of the Rev. John Scott Lidgett, the Settlement had many notable residents, Hugh Price Hughes, founder of the Methodist Times, Dr C W Kimmins, Inspector of Education of the LCC, and Dr Alfred Salter and his wife who championed Bermondsey's plight to alleviate poverty. The Picture of the Settlement Building is seen next to a school - I believe the school is the one that still stands today in Bevington Street and from the map of 1916 it appears that the Settlement Building was next door to the school. Farncombe Street was once the prominent street in the area which ran from Jamaica Road to Bermondsey Wall, but since redevelopment it has all changed and Farncombe Street is now a cul de sac. Today's picture is viewed from Bovington Street.

-fosney

I used to go to Brownies at the Bermondsey Settlement.
It was a marvellous gothic building and I was horrified when it was demolished.
I remember during one school summer holiday the settlement had a summer fete with a fancy dress competition and one of the judges was the actor Ian Hendry.
I must've been quite young at the time of the summer fete as Ian Hendry and the judges made a fuss of me and sat me on their table!
There was a photographer there and I remember seeing a photo in the South London Press of Ian Hendry and us kids in the grounds of the settlement.
I've searched the internet and can't find any photo's of the settlement so if anyone has any photo's of the Bermondsey Settlement please post them!

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:08 am

FARNCOMBE STREET BERMONDSEY WALL.jpg
FARNCOMBE STREET
DICKENS ESTATE BERMONDSEY 1975.jpg
DICKENS ESTATE BERMONDSEY 1975.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:24 am

Farcombe Street.I think that the pub on the right could be the old Prince of Wales in Bevington Street. Formally Princess Road.  X.jpg
I think that the pub on the right could be the old Prince of Wales in Bevington Street. Formally Princess Road.?
Farncombe Street 2019, very much shortened, looking from Bermondsey Wall East.  X.png
Farncombe Street 2019, very much shortened, looking from Bermondsey Wall East.
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:38 pm

kiwi wrote:I think that the pub on the right could be the old Prince of Wales in Bevington Street.
Indeed it is.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:36 am

Farncombe Street 1974.  X.png
Farncombe Street 1974.
Farncombe Street Thames Water Authority Office, Bermondsey.   X.png
Farncombe Street, Thames Water Authority Office, Bermondsey.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun May 31, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:28 am

Farncombe Street.   X.png
FARNCOMBE STREET

Farncombe Street. Bermondsey Settlement  1   X.png
Farncombe Street. Bermondsey Settlement.
FARNCOMBE STREET. X.png
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:37 am

Farncombe Street School, Jamaica Road, 1972.  X.png
Farncombe Street School, c1972.
Farncombe Street, looking towards Martin Street (Scott Lidgett Crescent). X.png
Farncombe Street, looking towards Martin Street (Scott Lidgett Crescent).

Return to “Buildings & Streets”