Cherry Garden Street

Postby fosney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

18370c8e6685a4b8eda977f53575cbc149d5cc70.jpg
838b3e652edf0e1d64e3723e268bee48526d68bc.jpg

fosney

Re: Cherry Garden Street

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:42 am

Cherry Garden Street

Cherry Grarden Street 1934 with Cranbourne Place clearly marked off to the left.
The 1916 map shows Cranbourne Place as a large H shaped area between Marigold Street and Cherry Garden Street.
The 1950s street atlas shows Cranbourne Passage running between Marigold Street and Cherry Garden Street.
Today the whole area has changed with redevelopment and all the old houses have now gone

807aa89a7c448b194b37d39a0d3ad0aad934f4ec.jpg
bf5dbf85175dc2b24dfe3a484b16a550a6de4688.jpg
cb3965d562b4ffcb8201347dbb7e33d9fe2d7341.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Posted by Kathy

Joe,

Haven't been on here for a bit - holidays, family things, work being done on the house. Thank you for putting the photo of old Cherry Garden Street up. An uncle by marriage was born there, and all these old photos help to build up a 'picture' of the area.

If you ever find photos of old St James Street, and Llewellyn Street in its old incarnation of New Church Street, I'd love to see them.

Kathy

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:29 am

Cherry Garden Street..jpg
Cherry Garden Street Estate, constructed in the late 1950s/ early 1960s.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:25 pm

CHERRY GARDEN STREET.jpg
CHERRY GARDEN STREET
CHERRY GARDEN STREET JAMAICA HOUSE.   X.jpg
CHERRY GARDEN STREET JAMAICA HOUSE
Last edited by kiwi on Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliblair52

Postby Aliblair52 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Hello, I'm a new member so thanks for allowing me to join your group. I'm very interested to learn about the area my grandparents and their predecessors came from. I remember as a child, my father taking me to Bermondsey and I have a fading mental picture of dark brown streets, tall brown buildings and slippery cobbles. My family were called Pocknell. In 1901 census James William (B. 1874) lived with his wife Katherine and daughters Lily and Edith (my grandma) at 87 Russell Scott Buildings, Cherry Garden Street. Edith later worked at the Peek Freen Factory and went on to marry Percy Turrell in 1926. My Great Grandfather William was a milkman in 1901 so I imagine that was with a horse and cart? William's father was a Lighter-man living in Fulford Street and Katherine's father was a fish salesman living in Salisbury St. I can't find my family in the 1911 census bar Lily who went into service in Catford. Something happened to Katherine because my grandma Edith and her sister Lily spent some time in a orphanage (?) apparently because her father was alone and couldn't cope with two young daughters. I have not yet found a record or death certificate for Katherine?

What happened to the R.S. Buildings? I think my family suffered great hardships but I find myself anxious to find out more. If anyone can shed any light on life between 1840-1950 I'd be so grateful to hear from you. Thank you Aliblair52

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 am

Beta II fire boat commissioned in 1909 was stationed at Cherry Garden Pier, Rotherhithe  X.jpg
Beta II fire boat commissioned in 1909 was stationed at Cherry Garden Pier, Rotherhithe
Cherry Garden Street corner with Cross Street now  Pottery Street. The cherry garden river fire station Rotherhithe.  X.jpg
Cherry Garden Street corner with Cross Street now Pottery Street.The cherry garden river fire station.>>>>>>>

Cherry Garden Pier LFB fireboat Beta II.   X.png
Cherry Garden Pier LFB fireboat Beta II

LCC-LFB fireboat Beta II (the sister craft to fireboat Beta) moored off its fire station at Cherry Garden Pier, Rotherhithe. The crew are at drills, directing powerful water jets into the river. This practice can, when required, be used to manoeuvre, and propel the craft through the water.
Last edited by kiwi on Wed May 06, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meryan46

Postby Meryan46 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:05 pm

Aliblair52 wrote:Hello, I'm a new member so thanks for allowing me to join your group. I'm very interested to learn about the area my grandparents and their predecessors came from. I remember as a child, my father taking me to Bermondsey and I have a fading mental picture of dark brown streets, tall brown buildings and slippery cobbles. My family were called Pocknell. In 1901 census James William (B. 1874) lived with his wife Katherine and daughters Lily and Edith (my grandma) at 87 Russell Scott Buildings, Cherry Garden Street. Edith later worked at the Peek Freen Factory and went on to marry Percy Turrell in 1926. My Great Grandfather William was a milkman in 1901 so I imagine that was with a horse and cart? William's father was a Lighter-man living in Fulford Street and Katherine's father was a fish salesman living in Salisbury St. I can't find my family in the 1911 census bar Lily who went into service in Catford. Something happened to Katherine because my grandma Edith and her sister Lily spent some time in a orphanage (?) apparently because her father was alone and couldn't cope with two young daughters. I have not yet found a record or death certificate for Katherine?

What happened to the R.S. Buildings? I think my family suffered great hardships but I find myself anxious to find out more. If anyone can shed any light on life between 1840-1950 I'd be so grateful to hear from you. Thank you Aliblair52

I was born at No 86 RSBuildings and moved to 71 later. The names are not familiar to me as they had obviously moved long before my time although they would have been of my maternal family era. I went to LCC Nursery after the War in Fulford Street which is the turning opposite the Catholic Church in Paradise Street. The street down to The Angel Pub still exists but the houses and Park Buildings long since gone.
if the family were Catholic the children might have ended up in the Orphanage in Orpington Separate houses for Boys and Girls even from same family. Many were not real orphans, just one parent left but couldn’t afford/cope.
87 would have been the block alongside the Queen Charlotte but on the Jamaica Road side. Top floor with access on landing to roof for communal washing lines etc.
Buildings were demolished late 60s (after being used for scenes in Battle of Britain film) 2 of my aunts were amongst the latest to leave and rehomed in Pope House in the Blue.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”