St James Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: St James Road

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:46 pm

Posted by curley

St James RoadPicture from the forum of Rialto Cinema St James Road now long gone but replaced by another building with Southwark Works on the door does anyone know what this is all about?. The old auditorium of the cinema has gone and this has been replaced by another building can anyone tell us what this building is?In the old picture we can see Harpers Barbers shop next to the Rialto does anyone remember John Harper who took over the shop from his father and lived in either Roul Road or Lindsey Street?[image][image]

-fosney

I remember Tom Harper, who I presume was John Harper's father? He used to cut mine and my dad's hair in the late 1950's. My Nan used to take me to the Rialto with her every Wednesday night in the mid 1940's, and I continued to use it until I left the area in 1952. While I have very fond memories of the place, I was sexually assaulted there one afternoon when I was about eight; I didn't actually realise what had happened until I was about eighteen! It took us a long time to find out about such things in those days!

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Posted by Rene

I remember the Rialto Cinema. I recall my friends and I being bored one Saturday afternoon and so we decided to go to the pictures. We were all about 14 years old (1957-ish). We sat in the 3rd row from the back and there were a couple of people sitting in the second row from the front. Not a packed house. I can't remember the name of the movie but it was something to do with Vikings. Despite the Rialto being in decline and almost empty, we still managed to get ourselves barred that afternoon. The good news is we got our money back - the good old days ha! ha!

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Posted by Pedropeter

I remember Tom Harper, who I presume was John Harper's father? He used to cut mine and my dad's hair in the late 1950's. My Nan used to take me to the Rialto with her every Wednesday night in the mid 1940's, and I continued to use it until I left the area in 1952. While I have very fond memories of the place, I was sexually assaulted there one afternoon when I was about eight; I didn't actually realise what had happened until I was about eighteen! It took us a long time to find out about such things in those days!

-curly

Hi Curly,
As established in previous posts(see page36) Harpers was the cafe and Hassets was the barbers!!
Regards
Peter

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:25 am

ST JAMES ROAD..jpg
Number 363-367 and 371-373 St James Rd. Old Kent Road top of the hill.

paperboy

Postby paperboy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:34 am

What was the name of the oil shop on the corner of St James' Road and Lucey Road?

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:46 am

St James Tavern  72 St James's Rd, Bermondsey,,Butchies Seafood Stall..png
St James Tavern 72 St James's Rd, Bermondsey,Butchies Seafood stall.
St James of Bermondsey was the St James Tavern to the left Rail Sidings Road was Linsey Street X.jpg
St James of Bermondsey (2016) was the St James Tavern, to the left Railway Sidings Road was Linsey Street
Butchies St James Road..jpg
Butchies St James Road,no longer there.>>>>

Interior of the St James Tavern. c 2015.
St James Road, interior of the St James Tavern, 2016.jpg
St James Road, interior of the St James Tavern..jpg
St James Road, interior of the St James Tavern, 2014..jpg

St James Road, St James Tavern, Antique Chrome Match Book Holder. X..png
St James Road, Antique Chrome Match Book Holder.

Possibly the same family.
1910/Miss Nellie Maria Farrants/../../../Post Office Directory.
1911/Nellie Maria Farrants/Sister, Licensed Victualler/26/Clapham, Surrey/Census
1915/Miss Nellie Maria Farrants/../../../Post Office Directory
Last edited by kiwi on Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:20 am

Post by paperboy 2009.
St James' Road about 1952 looking towards Strathnairn Street where the bagwash was on the corner. (That's me and my mum next to the prefabs).
St James Road.jpg
Sometimes it gives you a nice feeling posting a picture, this is one of those times. Kiwi.
:)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:05 am

Sultan Tavern, 238 St James Road. X.gif
Sultan Tavern, 238 St James Road (left) corner with Lynton Road(right)
St James Road,The Sulton Pub. 2  X.jpg

Lynton Road, Bermondsey The Sultan Pub 1990’s.  X.png
Lynton Road, Bermondsey The Sultan Pub 1990’s.
Last edited by kiwi on Thu May 13, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 pm

St James Road, Bermondsey Gospel Hall, opened in 1957..jpg
St James Road, Bermondsey Gospel Hall, opened in 1957.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:49 am

St James Road. The last horse tram route in London, England, before they were all withdrawn from the streets, 18th July 1913. It travels between Raymouth Road in Rotherhithe and Canal Bridge on the Old Kent Road, which is behind.
It takes little imagination to understand why the tram was called the "Ha'penny Bumper" - a ½d fare over poor or indifferent track.
St James Road. The last horse tram route in London 1913. It travels between Raymouth Road in Rotherhithe and Canal Bridge.  X.png

St James Road c1910  X.jpg
St James Road c1910

The shop on the extreme right is that of Charles Cox, "Shirt & Collar Dresser" of 364 St. James's Road, and next to it is James Risdon's tobacconist, sweet and newspaper shop at no. 366.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”