Henry Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Henry Street

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Thanks fograin for yourcomments on this one:
Henry Street does not appear on the on the 1868 Mapco map but is on the 1874 map.
The London Armoury Co had gone into liquidationin after the end American Civil War 1866 and if Henry Street is not shown as being on the map for 1868 , I think fogbrain is right that the company was never in Henry Street, the information and pictures I have gathered is only what I have found on the internet.
I somehow feel that the link to where the company was is what I have read about them working out of old railway sheds in the Bricklayers Arms.
Or was it their office was at 10 Henry Street not the works?

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Made In Bermondsey

A product of the London Armoury Company of Bermondsey was the Kerr Revolver it was said to have been better made and finished than any similiar product made in either the North or The South

Note the London Armoury name on the butt
Riflr.jpg
P1853 Rifle
Rifle2.jpg
P1853 Rifle
Attachments
Lond2.jpg
KerrRevolver.jpg
Last edited by fosney on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Posted by fogbrain

The Henry Street that was near the Bricklayer's Arms was renamed Pardoner Street.

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Henry Street - Pardoner Street

Thanks fograin for guiding me in this direction it may be you have cracked it.

The 1857 shows Henry Street as does the 1861 map but with an addition a factory to the north end. This is again shown on the 1864 map.
Copy of the 1872 map showing clearly that the factory was in fact an Enginering Works, could this have been the London Armoury Works?

We have now completed a full circle and returned to the Tabard Gardens area.!

1872 Map
Attachments
HenryStreet.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks fograin for yourcomments on this one:
Henry Street does not appear on the on the 1868 Mapco map but is on the 1874 map.
The London Armoury Co had gone into liquidationin after the end American Civil War 1866 and if Henry Street is not shown as being on the map for 1868 , I think fogbrain is right that the company was never in Henry Street, the information and pictures I have gathered is only what I have found on the internet.
I somehow feel that the link to where the company was is what I have read about them working out of old railway sheds in the Bricklayers Arms.
Or was it their office was at 10 Henry Street not he works?

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:07 am

Henry Street - Pardoner Street
Thanks fograin for guiding me in this direction it may be you have cracked it.
The 1857 shows Henry Street as does the 1861 map but with an addition a factory to the north end. This is again shown on the1864 map.
Copy of the 1872 map showing clearly that the factory was in fact an Enginering Works, could this have been the London Armoury Works?
We have now completed a full circle and returned to the Tabard Gardens area.!

-fosney

Posted by fogbrain
Thanks, Fosney. But I'm dubious that this is it. The roadway of Henry Street ends at the last house on the left. Beyond that it is pavement that goes beside the house to link up with Etham Street and Castle (later Camelot) Street. And as well as the parish boundary following the line of the old stream or ditch, the map indicates a wall, or at least a fence, right the way along until Castle Street which did give access to various premises. The works you refer to I would think were much more likely accessed from Castle Street or through that gap between buildings in Baalzephon (later part of Weston) Street. (I never mastered the baalzephon, but I do play the buffoon). And 10 Henry Street would have been a terraced cottage.

So, sorry, but I may have just thrown in a red herring, and we're actually going round in circles.

They had some great street names, didn't they? I love the contradictory "Amicable Row". I hope our ancestors appreciated the irony.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:11 am

I had a dream - that kiwi asked if Loftie Street had previously been called Henry Street. It must have been a dream because I'm buggered if I can find the question now! Maybe he employed maori telepathy.
But he's not wrong: the bit that ran east-west was formerly Henry Street, the bit that survives was called Blackman's Alley, and the bit in-between was Ann Terrace. This is the Henry Street in St James's parish that lawrence123 referred to. I don't think this is the right Henry Street either - quite short and just a few houses, and in the middle of rope making country.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”